2012 Election: Foreign Policy Debate Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

This Monday was the third and final presidential debate which took place at Lynn University in Boca Raton, Florida and moderated by CBS News journalist Bob Schieffer. The focus of the debate was foreign policy and Obama and Romney discussed various issues such as the Middle East, Israel and Iran, Afghanistan War and Pakistan and National Security. Missed the debate? Had no clue what either candidate was talking about? Don’t worry, we have a recap for you.

Middle East:

When asked about what America should be doing with regard to the Middle East, Governor Romney stated that the U.S. needs to get the Muslim world to reject extremism. He wants to help Middle Eastern nations to create civil society and achieve gender equality. He believes that economic development will help the Middle East reach these goals.

President Obama stresses the need to rebuild alliances in the Middle East. He also says that America needs to use strong, steady leadership to help the Middle East without getting militarily entangled. Obama stresses that America cannot do more nation-building abroad because domestic nation-building is his current priority.

Each candidate was asked about Syria. They answered similarly saying that they would like to see a new government replace Assad and start on good terms with a new Syrian government. Both think this can be accomplished with the support of its allies and organization of anti-Assad insurgents. Neither candidate wants America to become involved militarily.

America’s Role in the World:

Romney believes it is America’s responsibility to protect freedom. He says that the US must be strong to do this, and must therefore prioritize the economy and increase the sizes of the Navy and Air Force. He believes the U.S. must stand by its close allies, citing Israel as a primary example.

President Obama also believes that the U.S. must fix the economy. He says that Americans should remain loyal to our strong allies in Europe, Asia, and Africa. He doesn’t believe military spending should increase, as the military is not asking for more money.

Israel and Iran:

Governor Romney and President Obama expressed similar views on this topic: both pledged that they would remain loyal to Israel the country was attacked by Iran. Each stressed the importance of prohibiting Iran from attaining nuclear power through crippling economic sanctions, that our allies must employ as well. Romney specifically states that the US should indite Iran’s President, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, for jihadist incitement.

Afghanistan War and Pakistan:

Governor Romney first talked about the importance of readying Afghanistan to be independent of U.S. troops, especially because of its shared border with Pakistan. Romney believes that the U.S. must maintain diplomatic relations with Pakistan (despite the tense relationship after the raid on Osama Bin Laden) because Pakistan is a nuclear power. Romney stresses that if Pakistan were to become a failed state, which could happen without U.S. support, nuclear weapons could get into the Taliban’s hands.

President Obama highlighted his successes in putting Afghanistan in a position to be independent of U.S. troops and in transitioning U.S. troops out of Afghanistan. Obama says that it’s time that the troops come home and that the U.S. should focus on employing veterans.

Threats to National Security:

Governor Romney says that the U.S.’s greatest threat is a nuclear Iran. However, he also says that China’s market power is a big threat to the U.S. economy. Romney wants to be partners with China, however, stressed that China needs be fair in global trade. He believes the U.S. should take action against China’s currency manipulation. He also stressed that America’s trade imbalance with China should be halted and that the U.S., to compete with China, should invest in research, not companies.

President Obama declared China as the U.S.’s greatest threat. He mentioned China’s trade cheating and sited examples of his aggressive legal action against China which has saved U.S. jobs. Obama also says that U.S. exports to China have doubled since 2008.