Culture > News

Why the Met Gala 2023 is already facing backlash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

The first Monday in May is one of the most exciting days of the year for fashion lovers. Celebrities of all calibers walk the red-carpeted steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City as they enter one of the most glamorous and secretive parties of the year. 

The theme for the gala follows the year’s Costume Institute exhibition. The theme for 2023’s Met Gala has just been announced, and some celebrities are raising concerns about it on Twitter and other social media. 

On September 30th, Vogue Magazine’s Twitter account posted a video of Pharrell Williams sharing the news, along with a caption that reads, “Today at the official announcement of ‘Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty as the @metmusuem’s Spring 2023 Costume Institute Exhibition…” 

So why has this announcement already received its fair share of criticism? Karl Lagerfeld, the late designer famously known for his role as creative director of Chanel and his own brand, Lagerfeld, has a history of anti-fat language and sexual harassment.

Throughout his career, Lagerfeld made many remarks targeting plus-size women and even pointing out specific celebrities by name. He was quoted saying “no one wants to see round women” and even calling Heidi Klum “too heavy.” Besides that, Lagerfeld has some relation to the Me Too movement and sexual harassment, saying “if you don’t want your pants pulled about, don’t become a model! Join a nunnery, there’ll always be a place for you in the convent,” among others. 

Following the announcement, outspoken actor, Jameela Jamil, went to her social media to speak out against Lagerfeld and the choice to curate the Met Gala theme around him. She posted to Twitter, “A line of racism, fatphobia, and hatred of the Me Too movement. Excited to see all the ladies celebrate this great lover of women!” 

While there is no confirmation by any guests as to who will be attending, it will be interesting to see if this theme deters anyone from walking up those illustrious steps.

Tamar is a first-year student studying political communication at GWU. She enjoys writing about culture, life, and wellness, and loves to read and listen to podcasts in her free time.