Why Blair and Chuck are still my favorite TV couple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Three words. Eight letters. Say it and I’m yours.

Seven years ago when the last episode of Gossip Girl aired, my favorite television lovebirds became my 21st century #relationshipgoals when they finally got married after six seasons of scheming and sexual tension. I’m still not over the epic love story that is Chuck & Blair… Blair & Chuck.

At the beginning of Season 6, it is revealed that Chuck and Blair made a pact: in order to be together, they each have to reach their individual goals first. This couple may live for scheming and drama, but this is the most mature thing they ever did. Despite how much Chuck loves and respects her, Blair must become a success at Waldorf Designs before she can enter into a relationship with Chuck Bass as an equal.

As Gossip Girl highlights, this journey is a bumpy one for Blair – to blindly navigate the fashion world and develop an enterprising label is no easy feat, especially at 22 years old. This task is going to show her what it truly means to be Queen B, she just doesn’t yet know it when she sets out. After months of scheming, guilt, an angry mother, and rebuilding her best friendship with our beloved Serena, Blair finds that her strength lies exactly in the personality that she had been fighting for so long.

A lot of us look for a relationship because we want someone to fill our empty time. We romanticize the phrase “you complete me.” Doesn’t that imply that we are incomplete ourselves? That we are not enough?

Blair proved in her final season that there is no single person or relationship that can complete her; All she has to do to become Queen B is accept herself – to realize her inherent value; to unapologetically claim what is meant for her; and to do it all with the humility of royalty.

Finally, Blair steps into the most confident shoes she ever wore, and can be an equal in marriage with Chuck. How could she possibly be overshadowed by anyone on her arm when she made herself the most dazzling diamond on the Upper East Side?

Take a page out of Blair’s book (or the one that Dan Humphrey wrote about her) and find your own queen’s crown before you find a king.

XOXO,

Gossip Girl

Callie Ingwersen, originally from Prince George's County, Maryland, is a current freshman in the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences at the GWU. She's in the University Honors College and is on track to earn her degree in Neuroscience with a minor in English, but when she's not reading Nietzsche or her chemistry textbook, Callie loves to try new plant-based recipes, unwind at the gym, and explore the city.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.