When it’s time for Plan B: Emergency Contraception for Dummies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Accidents happen. Like that time when you got home from class and realized you left your straightening iron on, or when you added too much water to your easy mac and ruined the cheese to water ratio. Or, more unfortunately, when you had sex with the cute boy from your stat class who you just started seeing, and your method of contraception failed…uh oh. If this happens it might be a good time to implement plan b- which in this case means taking emergency contraception.

Your contraception can fail in many ways. If you are not on regular birth control and the condom breaks, falls off, or is not put on correctly you are at a higher risk for getting pregnant. It can also happen if you mess up your birth control pills and forget to take a day, or two, or more.  Or maybe you somehow forget to use a condom, which also puts you at risk for spreading and contracting an STD/STI (but that’s another story).

Without sounding too much like an advertisement, here are the facts on emergency contraception:

Also known as the “Morning-After Pill,” emergency contraception can be taken up to 120 hours (5 days) after unprotected sex. However, it is most effective the sooner you take it. Two common brands are “Plan B One-Step” and “Next Choice” which are both available at most drugstores, and do not require a prescription if you are 17 or older.  

In case you are curious, these two brands of the Morning-After Pill prevent pregnancy by releasing the hormone progestin to prevent a woman from ovulating (releasing an egg from the ovaries). Progestin, the same hormone used in regular birth control pills, also thickens the cervical mucus, which makes it harder for the sperm to join with an egg. How’s that for science?!

Contrary to many myths, emergency contraception is not the abortion pill. If you are already pregnant and take the Morning-After Pill, it will not abort the pregnancy.  Also, it is a bad idea to start using plan b as regular contraception- I know it’s a great invention, but it should be used as infrequently as possible. It can cause uncomfortable side affects like nausea and vomiting, and it can also get pretty pricey. Depending where you go, and what brand you buy, emergency contraception can range from $10 to $50. You can save 5 dollars if you print out a coupon online before going to the pharmacy http://www.planbonestep.com/coupon.aspx.

Of course, we all make mistakes and do things we regret. However, it is reassuring to know that there is a backup method of contraception for those instances of accidental mishaps.  Between your midterms, papers, and friendship drama, the last thing you want to worry about is getting pregnant.  

For more information: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/emergency-contraception-m…

Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.