This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

On the Undie Run’s website, the tagline “Freezing Never Felt So Good” stands out in bold letters. Pictures flash of men and women running in the snow in scantily clad outfits, and despite the weather, they are all smiling.

Cupid’s Undie Run is a one-mile run in your underwear that takes place annually on Valentine’s Day weekend. You can wear almost anything except for thongs and pasties, which have proven to be too revealing in years past.

Luckily, registration is still open for DC’s Undie Run on February 15th. You can register here (http://hopecur.com/?__utma=147029669.62323730.1391087752.1391087752.1391709150.2&__utmb=147029669.9.10.1391709150&__utmc=147029669&__utmx=-&__utmz=147029669.1391709150.2.2.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=(not%20provided)&__utmv=-&__utmk=62405420).

Although wearing minimal clothing in this freezing weather may not seem ideal, the cause is so incredible I’m wondering why I haven’t signed up for the run yet. The Undie Run raises money for The Children’s Tumor Foundation. In 2013 alone, the run raised over $1.3 million nationally. The goal this year is to hit $3 million. The Children’s Tumor Foundation is dedicated to putting an end to Neurofibromatosis (NF), a genetic disorder that causes tumors to grow on nerves. Side effects include blindness, learning disabilities, deafness, and severe pain. There is no cure for NF and very few treatment options. Approximately 1 out of every 3,000 children born in the United States are affected with NF. The Children’s Tumor Foundation seeks to advance and improve research in hopes of developing treatments and cures for NF. They also support people with NF and their families, and increase public awareness of this disease.  

If you decide to run or donate to the Undie Run campaign, you can rest easy knowing your money will go to good use. 100% of the funds raised by the Undie Run go to The Children’s Tumor Foundation. The Children’s Tumor Foundation spends 82.4% of its revue on research and donations.

The Undie Run started in 2010 in DC and was the only race of its kind until 2012, when 4 more cities were added. In 2013, 11 cities joined the movement. This year marks the inaugural Undie Run for 14 more cities. The movement has even spread to Australia, where three cities now participate.

As if this incredible charity is not enough of a reason for you to participate in this year’s Undie Run, you can also win a bunch of prizes for how much you fundraise. If you raise $50, you get custom Cupid’s undies. If you donate $350, you get VIP open-bar status on race day. Five hundred dollars will get you a snazzy Cupid’s embroidered robe, and $1,000 will get you a custom Cupid’s Tumbuk2 bag.

Check out some pictures from previous years’ DC races by clicking this link (http://pics.cupidsundierun.com/1449175872?fb_ref=g1449175872). And don’t forget to register, donate, or just go watch over 1,000 people run by the Capital in nothing but their undies.

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.