Top 5 Eye-Opening Moments of Taylor Swift’s “Miss Americana”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Taylor Swift’s Netflix documentary “Miss Americana” pulled back the curtain on her life and career. While the singer is usually an open book there were five particular moments that were especially revealing.

She struggled with an eating disorder.

Swift chronicles the times she would stop eating and starve herself. She goes on to say there were often times when she thought she was “supposed to feel like [she] was gonna pass out at the end of a show, or in the middle of it.” Clips were shown of performances when she was noticeably thin. She explains how many of her closest supporters mentioned her weight to her but she did not want to listen. However, she realizes now that “no if you eat food, have energy, get stronger, you can do all these shows and not feel it.” Further, she is happier now than ever with the way she looks and no longer minds if someone points out that she’s gained weight as she says “it’s just something that makes my life better.”

She thought the boos during her 2009 MTV Video Music Awards win were directed at her.

Swift recounts the infamous Kanye West interruption during her 2009 Best Female Video win. While most audience members knew the boos following West’s interruption were directed at him, Swift assumed they were aimed at her. “At the time I didn’t know they were booing him doing that,” Swift said. “I thought that they were booing me.”

She didn’t have a burrito until she was 27.

In a lighter moment during the documentary, Swift turns to producer and songwriter Joel Little to ask if he likes burritos. “Of course I like burritos,” he responds to which Swift explains her first time trying burritos was only two years ago but now she likes them. Little sums it up as he says “that’s the weirdest niche thing.”

She serenades Joe Alwyn.

The most shocking moment of the film to me personally comes in the form of a mouthed “I love you.” The audience is led to assume Swift is serenading boyfriend Joe Alwyn with her hit “Call it what you want.” It looks like a home video and shows swift telling Alwyn she loves him, a rare moment of PDA from the couple.

She had to convince her dad that her decision to become politically active was the right one.

While Swift’s decision to become politically active was an easy one for her, those around her had a harder time grappling with the risks involved. An emotional scene follows Swift as she explains her motivations to her dad who fears there are safety issues associated with backing Tennessee senatorial candidate Phil Bredesen. “I’m saying right now that this is something I know is right and, you guys, I need to be on the right side of history,” Swift said. “And if he doesn’t win then at least I tried.”

Ryan Norris is from Los Angeles, California. She’s a journalism major at George Washington University. In her free time, she enjoys traveling, writing, and spending time with friends.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.