The Trials and Tribulations of An Ex- ‘Golden Child’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

My golden suit wore off- what now?

At 18, when I attended therapy for the first time, my therapist told me to jot down a list of reasons that made me worthy. In a rather depressing manner, I was only able to list 3: I’m smart, I can sing, and I think I’m a good person. If pity were a face, it would be the therapist’s as she looked at my tiny list and asked: “how about you are worthy, because you are human?” This was a lot to take in. The thought that I had been worthy from birth hadn’t even crossed my mind.

All my life, I had been considered an ‘asset’ to those around me. The 14 years I spent in primary and secondary school were filled with constant praise. Nonetheless, when I arrived at GW and saw I was just like the rest of the intellectual omnivores in the university’s honors program, my once golden cape started to look more like a camouflage jacket. I had some deep self-analysis to do. Who the hell am I without an ‘A’ stamped on my face?

These frequent existential crises all add up to one simple reality: I spent so much time trying to please others that I didn’t make time to even develop a sense of self. At 21, I find myself aimlessly grabbing at anything that can give me any sort of revelation about who I am. I constantly change my wardrobe or my Instagram feed because I do not know what my style is. I jump from music genre to genre trying to uncover what my true taste is. But most importantly of all, I yearn to love myself- and to be loved- for simply being me.

Yes, I want to be an adult with real attainable goals. The poster child in me still wants to change the world for the better. However, I want to live my life in the most authentic way possible. I want to fall in and out of love, and go through heartbreak as I listen to Taylor Swift with a glass of wine in my hand. I want to start new adventures and fall into the unknown, even if I fail. I no longer want to be scared of the future and failing others- because to maintain my role as a golden child would be to fail myself.

Truth is, there is a certain sense of liberation in acknowledging the fact that I am completely clueless about who I actually am. For once, I enjoy the feeling of not being a poster child and sitting in my tiny twin bed figuring out what life is. I am tired of maintaining an image of perfection, even if that comes at the cost of losing my oh-so grandiose stream of praise. I don’t know who Maria is at this point of life, and that is okay.

I’ll eventually figure it out, but in the meanwhile, I’ll be enjoying my 20s…no golden dresses allowed.

Hello all! I am a junior at George Washington University majoring in international affairs and economics. Join me on the journey of discovering life as a 20 something year old living in DC.