Some Post-Valentine’s Day Thoughts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

The CVS on campus is fully stocked with pink and red chocolates, hearts adorn the windows of various stores, and sororities have their pink-themed “crush parties;” that’s when we all know Valentine’s Day is on its way. For weeks leading up to February 14, we are all reminded of the potential flowers and chocolate we may or may not receive. The thought of Valentine’s Day evokes several responses, ranging from pure excitement to sheer dread. I personally believe that I fall somewhere in the middle.

Naturally, being that I am a single girl in college, I enjoy complaining about the fact that I probably will not have a valentine. I love feeling sorry for myself, reminding everyone how unfortunate I am to not have a special someone. In all honesty, I have no idea why I find the need to boast this rather depressing reality, but I justify it in the fact that everyone else does it too. But when it truly comes down to it, I feel no major attachment or resentment towards Valentine’s Day. So what, I don’t have the opportunity to celebrate my love for my significant other on a national holiday. That does not mean I should wear all black and complain that “it’s, like, the woooorrstt holiday eevveerrr.”

In my mind, there are several ways to approach this day. Firstly, it is a wonderful excuse for me to wear pink or red lipstick during the day (and my adorable pink ballet flats). Secondly, I can eat an enormous amount of chocolate and not feel guilty about it. And thirdly, I can stand in line at CVS and watch hopelessly cute and nerdy boys purchase a bouquet of flowers and chocolate. So really, there is no reason for me to feel depressed. There is, however, one instance when I resent the holiday: facebook stalking.

One of my most treasured pastimes involves “creepin’ the book,” as I like to call it. I scroll up and down my newsfeed, clicking away at pictures, videos and wall posts that look interesting. On Valentine’s Day, however, almost everything evokes a gag-like reflex. As I am sitting on my bed, indulging in chocolates, I do not want a real-time update on your love life! One photo of the chocolates/flowers/cupcakes you received from your significant other is fine, but seriously, do not update your status and take pictures of each other across the dinner table. And avoid excessive use of hearts; those are gross too.

Valentine’s Day does not need to be a day to flaunt your generous, gift-adorning boyfriend, or post pictures of yourself parading around in your new pink lingerie. It should be a day dedicated to appreciating the person you love, by sharing a special moment between the two of you. I do not need to be involved.

So for all of you lovers out there, I hope you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. And for those of you who do not have a significant other, I hope you did not waste a day sulking in your room when you could have been embracing all of the positive aspects of your life to love. Valentine’s Day does not necessarily have to be directed at a boyfriend or girlfriend. Show your best friend how much you love and cherish your friendship. And honestly, you don’t have to wait for Valentine’s Day to do it. Unfortunately, the official holiday has already passed, but I truly hope you were not one of those poor souls who sat in their room full of resentment all day. Valentine’s Day is nothing to resent. If anything, show someone important to you how much you really love them.

Photo Courtesy: http://www.valentines-day-ideas.happy-holidays.net/wp-content/uploads/va…

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.