CPL Sections DESK?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
CPL Sections DESK?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media Design Team
Wellness

Real Talk: Going Back to In-Person College is Hard

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I know we’ve all been looking forward to this moment. You’re on campus, you’re rocking your best fit, and you’re headed to grab your favorite coffee or smoothie before your first class of the day. It feels pretty surreal. Even though you’re loving it, this whole “back in-person” thing is a pretty big adjustment not only on your body but also on your mind.

Although most of us won’t admit it, walking from class to class with a large backpack, purse, or tote bag is tiresome. Especially if you’re on a big campus or have to take buses to get between classes, this can affect your body big time. Because we are no longer on our beds snuggled up tuning into class on Zoom, our bodies have to make the adjustments necessary to adapt.

Here are a few tips to help you transition from online class to in person:
  1. Make your bed. It’s corny but studies do show that if you make your bed in the morning, you will feel more productive. Trust me, you will have a great start to your day and feel even more motivated.
  2. Make sure to eat breakfast. Your body and mind will thank you. If you can, start your morning off right with a hearty breakfast. Eggs, avocado toast, smoothie, anything that will fill you up and not have your stomach growling in the middle of your first class (even a granola bar will do).
  3. Carry a portable water bottle. Running from class to class can easily tire you. Carrying water will ensure you are hydrated and ready to take on the day.
  4. Use a Calendar App or planner. I cannot emphasize this enough. With classes, clubs, jobs, and social events, your schedule can get busy. Personally, Google Calendar is my best friend when it comes to time management. A pro tip is to color block your calendar to separate tasks. For example, put your workouts in one color, classes in another, etc.  Make sure to take a look at your schedule the day before, so you can get an idea of what is ahead for you the next day. And don’t forget to make time for yourself too!

These are just some tips and tricks that will have you embody the “hot girl scholar”. Wishing all of y’all a great semester!

Gigi Oyola is a senior at the George Washington University studying International Economics and Business. She is a member of the Pi Beta Phi Fraternity for Women, Association of Latino Professionals for America, Women in Business, and First Generation United. Besides her love for numbers and creative writing, Gigi enjoys adventuring to new sites, finding the best coffee shops, and reading autobiographies.