Sneak In a Workout While You’re Working

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It’s that time of year again; the leaves are falling, the weather is getting colder, and all of a sudden you realize you are going to be tested on everything you’ve learned so far this semester- welcome to midterm season.  So if you are a typical girl at GW this probably means you are putting on your newest fall boots and doing the following:

1.    Heading straight to Gelman after class and either taking a nap under the table in your study room (we’ve all been there) or taking a Fourride to your dorm after a full night of studying.
2.   Giving into your cravings and getting those delicious double chocolate brownies offered in Starbucks next to Gelman as you tell yourself “I deserve this!”
3.   Not going to the gym- unless you’re there to scarf down a burrito at CampusFresh even though you thought you were too stressed to feel hungry.

If this sounds familiar than you are susceptible to falling out of a gym routine, and into a slump. No need to worry girls! Here are some ways you can sneak in a workout without taking time away from your precious studies.

1.    Take the stairs. Whether you’re going to class, working in Gelman, or coming home after a full day, take the stairs and burn a few extra calories. Try to plan 5 minutes extra if you’re going to class so you don’t show up out of breath (although running up the stairs is a better workout).
2.   Pick up your pace. Try walking at a brisk pace no matter where you’re going. Walking at a more rapid speed will raise your heart rate, and will get you to your destination faster!
3.   Sit up straight.While you’re in class or at your desk in Gelman, improve your posture. Try sitting up straight with your shoulders back and engage your stomach muscles. All the time you spend sitting, think of all the ab workouts you are fitting in- not to mention the strengthen of your back muscles.
4.   Invest in ankle weights. This might sound silly, but if you buy a pair of ankle weights you can wear them in the privacy of your dorm while you’re working, watching TV, or eating. You can purchase a set for around 10 dollars on amazon. This will add more resistance while you’re doing everyday activities and help tone your legs.
5.   Take a stand. You burn more calories standing than sitting, so get off your butt and try standing any chance you get! Stand while studying or walking in place as a break, stand up while talking to your parents on the phone, or instead of facebook chatting with your friends, get up and go talk to them. This will make you feel more energized after you get back to work.

Of course these exercises won’t replace going to the gym on a regular basis, but when you’re super busy with midterms, any movement is better than be slumped over in your cubicle.

Happy Studying!

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.