This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

When it comes to sex education, the queer community is often over-looked and dismissed. Here are a few easy steps to stay safe while having sex, no matter your gender identity, sexual orientation, or who you sleep with!

1. Knowledge is Key! 

The most important thing you can do is get STD testing done regularly and ask your sexual partner(s) about the last time they got tested. 

STDs can be spread through many different forms of sexual contact. Even without penetration, STDs are still a risk. 

1. Protect Your Parts

Knowing the different types of condoms/protection available can help you see what works best for you and your partner(s). 

1. Female/Internal condoms: Condoms worn on the inside of the vagina or anus to prevent pregnancy and STDs. 
  2. External/‘regular’ condoms: Condoms worn around the penis to help prevent pregnancy and STDs. These can be used during oral, anal or vaginal sex. 
  3. Dental Dams: used during oral sex on a vagina to help prevent the spread of STDs. 
  1. Sex Toy Stuff

Sex toys can be a fun way to spice up your sex life. Even though sex toys are fairly safe, it is important to NOT use sex toys on yourself and different partner(s) before washing it first. Sex toy cleaner is sold at different sex toys and should be used before or after each use. 

1. Communication and Consent!

Having open and honest conversations with your partner(s) about what you like and are comfortable with will not only make you both more comfortable, but it will lead to better sex! Getting consent before sexual activities is important, knowing what to say may be difficult so here are some examples:

“Is it okay if I kiss you?”

“Do you want to have sex?”

“Are you comfortable continuing?”

1. Sex on Hormones? What to know!

Individuals on hormones face specific sexual risks. Testosterone can make your vaginal area dry which can lead to easier tears and rips, making it easier to get STDs. Make sure you are getting STD testing regularly! Those on estrogen may have trouble getting erections, but it is important to note that you can still get someone with a vagina pregnant!

1. Wash Those Hands! 

Although sex involving fingers seems low risk, infections can still occur from germs on the hands. Make sure you wash your hands well before having this type of sex. Finger condoms can also be used to increase your safety. 

1. Don’t Forget to Pee!

Peeing after sex is important to get the bacteria out of your body. Forgetting to pee after sex can lead to UTIs (urinary tract infections), no matter your gender or sexual orientation. It is still possible to get UTI no matter if you pee, so make sure other safety measures are being put to use! 

1. PrEP!

Pre-exposure prophylaxis is a medicine that can be taken to prevent HIV. It is specifically recommended for those having sex with partner(s) who are HIV positive. It is important to note that this medicine doesn’t protect you from other types of STDs, so you should still use condoms. 

Safe sex should be taught and made for everyone! After all, diseases don’t discriminate. With these tips, you can make your sex life healthier and happier. Weather you’re currently sexually active or not, educating yourself on safe sex is NEVER a bad idea. 

Hi everyone, I’m Carly Silverman from Long Island, New York. I am a sophomore journalism major and am so excited to be apart of the Her Campus community! (They/Them) (She/Her)