Post-Finals: Breathe, Stretch, Shake, Let It Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

As much as we all love December break, that week of finals before vacation is truly miserable. Between staring at your computer screen until your eyes hurt, sitting hunched over your desk for an awkwardly long period of time, and typing your 35 page senior thesis until you develop carpel tunnel syndrome (or am I the only one?), this past week has been physically painful. And although we are all extremely grateful to be receiving such a wonderful education, it is normal to feel utterly drained after this stress-filled and sleep deprived week. So now that finals are done, it’s time to de-stress! Here are 5 yoga poses that will help you get rid of the final’s hangover that lingers even after your exams are done.

1. Child’s Pose: Start on all fours with your arms stretched out straight in front of you, then sit back so your butt rests just above — but not touching — your heels. Hold the position for 5 to10 breaths, and repeat as many times as needed for a good, soothing stretch.

2. Triangle Pose:Start standing straight with your feet together. Next, lunge your left foot back three to four feet, and point your left foot out at a 45-degree angle. Turn your chest to the side and open up the pose by stretching your right arm toward the ground and the left arm toward the ceiling, keeping both your right and left legs straight. You may not be able to touch the ground with your right arm at first, so don’t over-stretch — only bend as far as you can while maintaining a straight back. Hold the position for 5 to 10 breaths, then switch to the other side, and repeat as needed.

3. Upward-Facing Dog
Start lying flat on the floor with your palms face-down by the middle of your ribs. While drawing your legs together and pressing the tops of your feet into the floor, use the strength of your back, not your hands, to lift your chest off the floor. Leave your legs extended straight out at first. Hold the position for 5 to 10 breaths, and repeat as needed.

4. Mountain Pose: Stand up tall with your feet together, shoulders relaxed, weight evenly distributed through your soles, arms at sides.
Take a deep breath and raise your hands overhead, palms facing each other with arms straight. Reach up toward the sky with your fingertips. Hold the position for 5 to 10 breaths and repeat as needed.

5. Seated Twist: Sit on the floor with your legs extended. The cross your right food over the outside of your left thigh. Bend your left knee and keep right knee pointed towards the ceiling. Place your left elbow to the outside of your right knee and right hand on the floor behind you. Twist right as far as you can. Moving your abdomen keep both sides of your butt on the floor and stay for 1 minute. Switch sides and repeat. 

Sources:
http://www.everydayhealth.com/back-pain-pictures/best-yoga-poses-to-soothe-back-pain.aspx#
http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/yoga/poses/beginner-yoga-poses/

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.