Playlist for the Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Although Thursday was a snow day (making it a five-day weekend for many people), the freezing temperatures that followed could certainly put a damper on your day. Here’s a wintry mix of seven old and new songs to help chase away the winter blues, despite the windchill!

1. 1. Snow Day by Matt Pond PA

Let’s start with the obvious. This little-known track is a laid-back ode to the beauty of winter, very fittingly named after the impromptu holiday we had on Thursday. One of my professors actually sent the link to this song to the class via Blackboard, and it is undeniably sweet and pretty.

1. 2. From Time by Drake feat. Jhene Aiko

This song – a personal favorite of mine from Drake’s newest album, Nothing Was The Same – has become more popular following his Saturday Night Live performance. The guest vocals from Jhene Aiko make this already-smooth track even more addictive.

1.  

2. 3. 400 Lux by Lorde

Best known for her sumer smash “Royals,” Lorde has since proven that she is more than just a one-hit wonder with the rest of her debut album, Pure Heroine. “400 Lux” is a lesser-known song from that album, but after a listen or two becomes just as catchy as her two Top 40 songs.

1.  

2. 4. Sea Dreamer by Wildlife

A more upbeat addition to the list, “Sea Dreamer” is a wild alt-rock song that starts slow and builds to a crashing crescendo. With an opening line of “I’ve been thinking it’s only a matter of time, before the sun and the stars all align,” it might make you start to think it’s only a matter of time before the sun comes back for good, the ice and slush melt, and spring settles into DC.

1. 5. The Way We Move by Langhorne Slim & The Law

A great song to listen to as you head to class, “The Way We Move,” is jaunty and uplifting. I discovered in on the soundtrack to the bromantic comedy 21 & Over, starring Jesse from Pitch Perfect and full of dirty but amusing humor. Reminiscent of The Hangover, but set on a college campus, 21 & Over is definitely worth a watch if you need a pick-me-up, just as this Langhorne Slim song is definitely worth a listen.

1. 6. This Is Gospel by Panic At The Disco

Anyone who remembers the old days of Panic (back before the cocaine scandal, when it was Panic! At The Disco, and still had its four original members) would probably be surprised to hear the power-pop sound of “This Is Gospel,” the band’s latest single. Less edgy and more mellow than the group’s older music, this is a great song to keep on repeat.

1. 7. Burn by Ellie Goulding

This song completes the list for obvious reasons. With the subzero temperatures outside, a track with a little heat seems necessary. Hopefully Ellie Goulding can “Burn” away the cold with this dance-worthy hit.

Enjoy the slightly warmer weather today!

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.
Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.