Oz Fishman ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Oz Fishman

Year: 2016

Hometown: Sunnyvale, CA

Campus Activities: Campus Campaign Coordinator for Teach for America, Concerts Co-Chair for Program Board, Member of Sigma Chi and Derby Days Chair, Leader of Young Change Makers

Why did you want to be Sigma Chi’s coordinator for Derby Days?

“I found it really interesting that Sigma Chi had 3 SA presidents, countless members on Colonial Cabinet, and so many leaders on campus but we didn’t have a hugely successful philanthropy week. We only raised $16,000 last year. Cancer is such an incredible cause and philanthropy. Also, when I grow up I want to do something like this, creating images and videos for social change. My roommate Ben and I thought it would be a good idea and a lot of fun.”

How did you think of such an innovative platform?

“We basically just took a look at philanthropy within GW Greek Life and realized everybody has the same structure – there’s a penny war, tank tops, and a skit night. Eventually it gets repetitive and the whole cause gets lost in the motions. It’s really silly to do this and forget about the cause. We wanted to launch something cool but realized knew didn’t have the social capital and excitement around our cause that some other fraternities do. We wanted to find a way to get girls interested and excited so we put together the “letsgetderby” hashtag and it ended up blowing up and getting people pumped. We also made sure that every event during the week had something to do with tackling cancer. Sign-A-Sig shirts were blank last year but this year they said “I’m here standing up against cancer” to make them more meaningful. We made packages, we fundraised at both the 5K and the brother auction. We wanted to do something different.”

How did you feel knowing you raised $71,000 compared to $16,000 last year?

“I don’t think it’s even sunk in yet. It’s kind of hard to internalize. I woke up the next morning feeling like it was unreal. We left the portal open for another week and we ended up making a total of $80,000. It is pretty incredible that something like this happened when our goal was $50,000 and we didn’t even think we’d reach that. It’s amazing, and I’m humbled to see that our community cares about something deeply enough to raise this money. And that was our goal at the end of it all.”

What was your most rewarding moment during the week?

“I think it was just going to the Derby and seeing the room so full and seeing that people were excited to be there. I could tell people really cared about what was going on. Another thing was when Juliet filmed her video about her mom who had breast cancer. It was such a special moment because she hadn’t shared that story with her sorority sisters yet. That is what the week was about. The impact is really person-to-person and her story was so inspiring.”

How are you involved with Teach for America?

“I do recruitment on campus. I build the TFA brand and get in touch with super successful juniors and seniors on campus and try to convince them to participate. The statistics are that only 1 in every 13 kids growing up in a low-income family will get the chance to go to college. On the other hand, 4 out of 5 kids in a high-income family will go to college. I don’t think that’s fair at all. I got involved because a brother in Sigma Chi did it last year, and he got me connected with the lady who runs it.”

What is your role on Program Board?

“I am the number two when it comes to planning concerts. I choose the artists, manage volunteers for set up and tear down, and help pick out the theme. All that stuff. “

What was your favorite moment on PB?

“When Timeflies did that freestyle rap about GW. That was sick. “

Tell me about Young Change Makers.

“My best friend who goes to Georgetown started the company and got me involved. The mission of it is to teach social entrepreneurship to kids in high school. I go to a high school in Maryland once a week and teach a class about what entrepreneurship is. We talk about problems in the world that exists and plausible ways to go about fixing them. There are five teams at this school and they put together projects and then get to present their ideas in front of a panel and have the opportunity to get up to $1,000 in funding for their ideas.”

What makes a good leader in your opinion?

“Somebody who is willing to fight for the priorities of the people around them but also step that up to the next level. They need to push past the status quo but be patient with people and accept that not everybody is the same.”

What is the best advice you’ve ever received?

“My mom was the first girl in her town to go to college or join the army, which is a requirement for non-Orthodox women in Israel. She taught me that if you’re not happy with what you have, you’ll never be happy. It’s good to be ambitious and want more for yourself but if that comes from a place of feeling inadequate or not good enough, nothing good will happen. Worthiness has to come from within, which is something I’m still learning.“

What’s on your bucket list?

“I want to visit a lot of countries. I really want to travel a lot. I didn’t get the chance to write that on the Before I Die Wall last year, but I wish I did.”

What is your favorite quote?

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate. Only can do that.” – MLKJ