This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

September was a drought for music. There were only so many times I could listen to “Truth Hurts” and “Senorita.” I think we can all agree that we’ve had enough. Now, October is booming. It’s like every Friday we’re gifted with new releases. There’s so much new music out right now that everyone needs to check out. 

https://genius.com/albums/Summer-walker/Over-it

Over It – Summer Walker

I’ve been waiting for a bubblegum R&B album for what feels like forever- thankfully Over It came out. Walker’s sound is like a SZA and Rhianna love child (so magical). The album is perfect for when you need to remind yourself that you’re the shit and that you don’t deal with BS. It’s also been my go-to getting ready album. It includes features by Drake, Jhené Aiko, A Boogie wit da Hoodie, and more. My favorite song is “Playing Games” featuring Bryson Tiller.  

DHL– Frank Ocean

Frank Ocean is finally back with a new single. Like all of his work, “DHL” is dynamic. On the track, Ocean maintains his classic sound using simple instrument placement and multiple ambient vocals. Even though he is becoming less private and more public, the song has an ambiguous sound. When I need to think, I put this song on and get lost in Ocean’s effortless flow. I’m praying that more music is on the way. 

Cheap Queen– King Princess

King Princess is the voice of our generation. She is fresh, fun, and raw. Her new album is everything we could have hoped for and more. If you’re looking for an album to cry to or dance to, she’s right here. Cheap Queen is an album of love, heartbreak, and fun. My favorite track is “Ain’t Together” since I love the story it tells. If you haven’t heard of King Princess check out her older stuff too. You will not be disappointed. If you like Billie Eilish, Maggie Rogers, and Clario, you would LOVE King Princess. 

Pony – Rex Orange County

As a huge Rex Orange County fan, I was siked when I found out a new album was on the way. Pony continues Rex’s bedroom electronica vibe. It is well written, as all of his projects are. It is more techno than his past works, but still really enjoyable. Rex can never disappoint. My favorite song is “Pluto Projector.” I love all of his songs so much that I shuffle all of them when I listen to him. 

Jesus is King– Kanye West 

After going to Kanye West’s album listening and IMAX film viewing, I knew what to expect from Jesus is King. The hype and anticipation for the album made it so talked about. Although it is not my favorite West album, I find it to be quite uplifting, and positive. I like to listen to it in the morning to set the tone for a great day. 

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/31KD3Dxz1Kriqn9E4Ya9vB?si=CjBXealORruhmGi7tH7U5w

Alexandra Fastlich is a sophomore. She's majoring in Communications and minoring in Creativity, Entrepreneurship, and Innovation. In her free time, she can be found listening to music, online shopping, or running around the monuments.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.