Never Can Say Goodbye: 10 Tips for When Distance Takes Over Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Going home for the holidays can sometimes make you eager to get back to school simply out of boredom and lack of GW Deli. But if you’re like me, going home also means countless visits to your family and friends and having your boyfriend right around the corner. Unfortunately, returning to school means not seeing those people for months again, and sometimes it’s hard to readjust after spending so much time together over break. Here are some tips to help you get back in the swing of “doing distance”:

1. Keep busy. Alone time is wonderful to clear your mind and relax, but often it evokes the opposite reaction if you’re in a fragile mood. Instead of holing up in your room, try hitting the gym, organizing, or finding something productive and enjoyable to do in order to keep yourself going strong.

2. Stay positive. It’s natural to be sad, but it’s not healthy to get bogged down. Keep your head up and remind yourself that you can do anything you put your heart into!

3. It’s okay to say “I miss you.” It won’t make you look weak or silly—it lets them know that you care. Everyone wants to feel important. Let your loved ones know that they are, in fact, loved.

4. Make plans. My boyfriend and I keep a list of things to do and places to go for when we’re together. Even if you keep a similar list with your friends or just post an event on someone’s Facebook, it’s a nice reminder that you will see each other again and now have something to look forward to doing together.

5. Don’t forget about your GW friends. Who better to boost your mood than the friends who are right next to you? Besides, you haven’t seen this set of friends all break—time to catch up on holiday vacations and those annoying things your parents did over the last few weeks.

6. Surprise! If you can’t do a surprise visit, try sending little gifts (Amazon is amazing) or just a note. It might mean more than you know, and a little bit of effort can spark a big smile.

7. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Decorate your room or desk with your favorite pictures of you and your loved ones so that you always have something to make you smile,too.

8. Focus. Remember that being back at GW means rechanneling your studious side. Set some personal goals and make yourself proud this semester.

9. Make time. Modern technology is a blessing in these situations. Be sure to schedule in Skype, FaceTime, or phone-call time, because texting isn’t always sufficient.

10. Remind yourself. Remember that distance can make it difficult to see each other, but you’re not powerless. You’ll be together again, and it will be that much more special when you reunite. I promise.