Jessica Watters ’13 Multicultural Greek Council President.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

1. Where are you from? I was born and raised in New York City.

1. What year are you at GW? I’m in my senior year.

1. What are you majoring in? Criminal Justice and Psychology.

1. What influenced you to attend GW and how did you find your place here? When I started college applications, GW was of the few universities on the east coast that offered Criminal Justice as a major. I also attended the Colonial Connection program at the end of my junior year and had a great experience.

1. What organizations are you involved in? I am a proud Hermana of the Latinas Promoviendo Comunidad/Lambda Pi Chi Sorority Incorporated. I am a member of the Dean’s Council for Multicultural Recruitment, Organization of Latino American Students (OLAS) and Black Student Union (BSU). I am also the current President of the Multicultural Greek Council (MGC).

1. Tell us about MGC and what you do as President. MGC is comprised of 17 different organizations. The E-Board oversees and allots money to them. We put on a series of events such as textbook drives, tutoring, study hours at MSSC, etc. to get people involved with MGC and get MGC involved with the community. I delegate tasks, attend events and support whoever needs me. I think it’s important to get to know each chapter so that we can address concerns and coordinate with each other.

1. What is one thing that you would say you are the most passionate about? I am very passionate about Social Activism. There are a lot of issues that effect community and too often, too many organizations try to do the same thing. If there was unity, we would find that we’re doing the same thing in different ways when instead, we should work together to make a change.

1. Describe a typical day in your life at GW. I wake up, go to class and train to Maryland for work at the Sexual Assault Legal Institute. I’m back on campus by 7. I leave my evenings open for events, homework and hanging out at the Multicultural Student Services Center (MSSC).

1. What are your plans for life after GW? I hope Masters in Public Administration and work at a non-profit consulting firm. If not, then Law School.

1. What is one thing you will miss the most about GW? The MSSC, MGC and the family that I have here.
Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.