The Art of Not Taking Life For Granted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

“Let us not take for granted that life exists more fully in what is commonly thought big than in what is commonly thought small” – Virginia Wolf

To preface all of this, I do want to say that not taking life for granted is easier said than done. There are going to be some days when it’s clearly out of the question to think about the mundane. In my anthropology class, we learned about the Imponderabilia of Actual Life, a term coined by Bronislaw Malinowski, which is basically the study of everyday life. A few days ago, I had to write a paper on this concept and had some lasting ideas that didn’t really fit into the assignments’ criterion and paper topic.

I think the first, and most important aspect of this “art” is to really listen to yourself in the moment. Sometimes we are so busy, we don’t even realize that our basic necessities aren’t being fulfilled. Even if it is only for a few seconds, stop and take a breather. Reorient yourself. In those moments, I like to take notice of what’s around me, whether it be on a certain noise, view, or even a smell. Yes, this is a small act, but it brings you back down to earth in the quickest way possible. In my opinion, you can’t really enjoy the simple or little things when you are always rushing from one thing to the next. Albeit, at times we don’t really have that choice – but we can make smaller ones that make the bigger ones more bearable.

You know the phrase, “romanticize your life”? I’m sure that you’ve seen those videos on Tik tok, where all the mundane parts of the persons’ day make it the best? That’s my next advice, and it honestly works. Going for coffee with a friend? Amazing. Walking to class? You. are. so. cool. You have to believe that it is special for it to be special. For me, I like to walk around campus listening to music, get a smoothie with a friend, or to try a new pastry at Paul’s (my favorite bakery). Making these things, which in a normal scope, are considered insignificant, a key part of your day will transform an “always on the go” mindset to one where you can appreciate all the little things.

So stop and smell the roses when you get the chance:)

Audrey is a campus correspondent for HerCampus and is a junior Political Science major at The George Washington University. She has a passion for writing about literature, wellness, and mental health. Outside of HerCampus, she is involved with the GWPLSA and The Public Education Network. In her free time, Audrey enjoys reading, watching movies, visiting museums, doing Pilates, and hanging out with friends.