It’s All About the Green

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Now that we’re past break, spring is almost in full swing, and there are a few great days that collegiate are looking to celebrate before summer’s here! Stay in the St. Patrick’s Days spirit with a few green recipes!

DIY Shamrock Shakes

If there’s anything to look forward to in March, it’s a delicious, sweet, minty shake! Here’s one you can make yourself:

INGREDIENTS

1 1/2 cups of whole milk (less milk if you prefer thicker shakes)

2 large scoops of premium vanilla ice cream

1 tsp of peppermint extract

2 dashes of mint bitters (optional for flavor and color)

2 drops of green food coloring (if you’re not using bitters)

Whipped cream

Just combine the ingredients in a blender and top with whipped cream! For a little extra, try adding some mint oreos!

From: Cupcakes and Cashmere http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/recipe/homemade-shamrock-shake-recipe

Healthy Green Smoothie

If the Shamrock Shake is a sugar overload, balance it out with your favorite greens in this superfood smoothie:

Ingredients:

• 1 scoop plain or vanilla protein powder
  • ½ cup kale (chopped)
  • ½ cup spinach (chopped)
  • 2 cups low fat milk or almond milk
  • 3/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
  • 3/4 cup frozen mango chunks
  • 1 frozen banana

Directions:

1. Prepare ahead: Cut all fruit into 1 inch chunks and place in separate freezer bags. Freeze. (You can find these items precut and frozen in most grocery stores.)
  2. To make: Place all ingredients in a heavy-duty blender and puree until smooth.
  3. Makes one enormous servings,  2 large servings, or 3 small servings.

Try adding your favorite fruits or other veggies like avocado and carrot juice!

Adapted from A Spicy Perspective http://www.aspicyperspective.com/2013/01/green-smoothie-recipe.html

For the 21+ Collegiettes, try this festive take on a Girls’ night classic:

The Shamrock-arita

1 oz. Sauza Blue Gold Tequila½ oz. melon liqueur2 oz. lime juice1 oz. simple syrupTo make simple syrup, mix equal parts hot water and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Combine all ingredients in a shaker filled with ice, shake, and strain the ingredients into an ice-filled glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.Source: Sauza Tequila

Green Eggs And…Brunch

Take your favorite egg or omelet recipe and add pureed kale or spinach before cooking! With a piece of toast and your favorite side like bacon or home fries, start your St. Paddy’s day off right!

For a night in, try this creamy spinach artichoke dip:

Ingredients:

1 c fat free cottage cheese 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese1 (10 oz) package frozen spinach (thawed)1 can artichoke hearts, drained (about 1 1/2 cups)2 cloves garlic (or more to suit your preferences)

Press the spinach between two plates to remove as much of the water as possible. Whirl garlic in food processor to chop, add cottage cheese and whirl till almost smooth.Add spinach and artichoke hearts … whirl till consistency is however chunky or smooth you like. Add sour cream (and Parmesan cheese if using) and whirl just enough to blend. You can then eat this as a cold dip … *OR* spoon it into ramekins or a casserole dish and bake at 350 F for approx. 15 minutes (or microwave till hot). If baking, sprinkle a spoonful of the grated Parmesan (if you’re adding it) over the top of the dish rather than mixing it all into the dip. Makes a DELICIOUS hot dip for toasted bagel chips or pita chips!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=379879

Katrina is the Smith College Her Campus Blog editor. She is a member of the class of 2017 and is studying art history.