Wellness

How to Stop Procrastinating (From a Serial Procrastinator)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I’ve been sitting at my desk thinking about what to write, and I hate every idea that comes to mind. It doesn’t help that I’m on a deadline. I like to think of procrastination as fine art, a complex process I’ve taken years to perfect. There are a lot of factors that fall into place in order to fall this far behind. What’s supposed to be one episode of Scandal turns into two hours in front of the TV, barely keeping my grip on a now-empty popcorn bowl. I’m not proud of myself for my procrastination habit, but I have managed to find some helpful strategies which help me procrastinate less and focus more.

Put away electronics

While you may need your laptop to do homework, you don’t actually need your phone. Every buzz and bing is just one more opportunity to divert your attention from your work and go check out TMZ’s latest update. While you may think you’re an expert multitasker, studies show that in reality, the task of multitasking is virtually impossible.  So, don’t watch TV, do homework, and Facetime your best friend at the same time. Let’s be real, your attention is going to be more fixed on your favorite character and your friend’s drama, than your biology reading.

Stop snacking

I don’t know about you, but my favorite thing to do when I need a distraction is to open my stash of snacks and munch away. While it is extremely tempting to go into your cupboard and take out Cheez-Its or Oreos, you’re probably not really hungry and are just looking for another excuse to put off your homework. So put down the food, open the books, and get studying.

Create a schedule

I find it helpful when I make a list of everything I have to do in the day, and plan when I am going to do it. I’m no stickler about doing everything at the exact time I wrote down, but I try to follow my plan as much as I can so that I stay on track and actually get work done.

Don’t do work where you sleep

I’m sure you’ve heard that doing homework in your bedroom is not a good idea because you associate that room with sleep, but I mean, come on, we all do it. But, just because we all do it, doesn’t mean it’s right. That’s why I go to the library because, there, everyone around me is working, which encourages me to do the same.

Reward yourself

I know, I know. You’re not a dog. Still, it is okay to reward yourself when you reach your goals. Once I complete a lot of my homework, I usually “reward” myself with my favorite dark chocolate and some Netflix. For everyone, this reward can be different, but having a little extra incentive to do your work will always help you finish.

Michela Manocherian is a junior at The George Washington University majoring in Political Science and minoring in Journalism and Mass Communication. In her free time, she enjoys baking, boxing, and spending time with friends.
Sarah is a junior at The George Washington University School of Business, studying Finance and Sports Management, with a minor in Spanish. She previously worked at the Her Campus Media headquarters in Boston as a Product and Operations intern. She is a dedicated Boston sports fan, loves to travel, and pets every dog she sees.