How to Prevent the Holiday Weight this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for gratitude, family, and most importantly, feasting on lots of stuffing and pecan pie.  It’s one of those holidays where you know even before the meal begins, that by the end you’ll be leaving with a full belly- I mean it’s Thanksgiving!  Aren’t you glad you planned accordingly and wore your looser fitting jeans?  

This year, instead of accepting the inevitable holiday weight gain, try to start listening to your body and stop eating when you are full!  Of course, this is easier said than done; so here are some sneaky ways to prevent yourself from feeling so stuffed after your Thanksgiving meal that you get nauseous just wrapping up the leftovers.  Let me preface this by saying: if you want to splurge on this holiday don’t let anyone stop you. But, if you don’t want to ruin your diet, or if you want to avoid getting to the point where you feel sickly full, these tips will be most helpful to you.

1.      Talk between bites. Instead of stuffing your face throughout the meal without looking up once your plate is clean, take breaks between bites and savor your food. Practice putting your fork down and socialize! Chances are you haven’t seen these friends or family members in some time, so take advantage and catch up between bites. This does not mean talk with your mouth full because that’s gross- and your family will be too distracted by the half chewed turkey in your mouth to listen to what you are trying to tell them about your new boyfriend. 

2.      Spoil your appetite. You heard me, eat something before the main meal. Fill up on starters like vegetable crudité, or a soup or salad that is served prior to the really heavy dishes, i.e. buttery mashed potatoes and stuffing with gravy.  By the time the turkey comes out, you won’t be as temped to binge on huge portions of these delectable dishes.

3.      Help out. If you are having Thanksgiving at your house or even at your cousin’s or family friend’s, help the host clear the plates, bring out the soup bowls, or refill the pitcher of water- anything that gets you out of your seat. If you are walking from the dining room to the kitchen you’ll force yourself to take breaks between eating and you’ll have less downtime in your seat to feel like the only thing left to do is eat more. Not to mention, part of being a gracious guest is helping out. So show that you were raised well and still have good manners.

4.      Drink more water. Always make sure you water glass is half full at all times throughout the meal. Sipping on water between bites is another way to prevent yourself from inhaling your food. This will allow you to savor the delicious turkey and casseroles galore. Try to get yourself to take a big gulp of water every few bites. Hopefully by the end of the meal you’ll go through 3 to 4 glasses of water, and you’ll probably have to take a few bathroom breaks- which helps you get away from the table for another few minutes.

5.      Make healthy substitutions. If Thanksgiving is at your house this year, try to incorporate some healthier alternatives into your meal plan. Make sure to plan a meal where there are plenty of lighter side dish options, like grilled vegetables or chicken noodle soup to start. For dessert, you can provide a healthier alternative to pecan pie, like baked apples. When cooking, one healthy trick my mom always taught me is to use chicken broth instead of extra butter in your mashed potatoes.  And if you’re not hosting, offer to bring a dessert so you can make sure there is something everyone can enjoy without guilt. Plus, you’ll get points for being original and for not bringing a bottle of wine – although wine is always a lovely housewarming gift.

Here’s an easy recipe for Baked Apples courtesy of Hungry Girl

Ingredients
•   4 medium Rome or Braeburn Apples
•   1 can diet black cherry soda
•   1 teaspoon granulated sugar
•   1/4 teaspoon cinnamon plus more, for optional topping
•   2 tablespoons fat-free whipped topping

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Core apples. Place them in a casserole dish. Pour the entire can of soda   over the apples.
3. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon over the apples. Place the dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until the apples are tender.
4. Top with whipped topping. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if you like. 5. Enjoy!

PER SERVING (1 apple): 104 calories, <0.5g fat, 10mg sodium, 27g carbs, 4g fiber, 21g sugars, 0.5g protein
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bestest-baked-apples-recipe/index.html

Happy Thanksgiving!

photo credit: http://www.finecooking.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Images/Cooking/Articles/Is…

Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.