Homesickness: How to Survive Halloween to Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

No matter who you are, or where you come from, there is one illness that will inevitably infect us all. No, it’s not the common cold, it’s homesickness.

When I flew from my warm nest of Southern California and settled into our nation’s capital, I was confident I would not be a victim of homesickness. But boy, some could say I was overconfident because by the time parents’ weekend came and went, all I could think of were my friends, my family, my own bed, my own room, my car, a warm breakfast that didn’t include a Special K bar, and, of course, my dog. This year, there is still that ache for home (I doubt that ever really goes away), but it’s so much better. Maybe because I am a year older, but I think it’s mostly because I finally have a much firmer grip on this Debbie Downer of an illness than it has on me.

So if you’re feeling blue, here are tips that have helped me deal with this October slump, and I hope will help you!

1. Stay in contact with your family. It may seem lame to talk to mom or dad on a daily basis, but first of all, they want to hear your voice as much as you want to hear theirs, and they most definitely have parental insight on how to keep calm and carry on. Bottom line: when you’re in regular contact with home, it doesn’t feel as far away. Even a text or email can help pull home a little closer to your dorm. 
  2. Talk to your friends. Whether they are your home friends or college friends, they are bound to be in the same mood as you. Even if they don’t show it, and are constantly going out and seem to be having fun, I bet every now and then they wish they could crash on their own bed after eating a homemade dinner from mom. If you talk to people your age, who are in the same period of transition, you won’t feel so alone, and you may even establish strong friendships!
  3. Get involved. The busier you are, the more productive you are, and who doesn’t feel awesome after a productive day? Sign up for a club, rush a sorority, apply for the school newspaper, hunt for a job or internship, get a gym pass; the options are endless! Campus involvement is the ideal way to evade a mopey attitude because you not only build character, but you add things to your resume and friends to your social life! Don’t bite off more than you chew however, an extra sprinkle of stress is the last thing anyone needs!
  4. Make time for yourself. Even though right now you may be feeling more alone than ever, it’s important to have one on one time with yourself! “Me time” is a great way to just mellow out and breathe. Maybe watch a movie or listen to music on your bed, read a magazine, or even go on a walk to the nearest park and unwind with a book, coffee, and nature. It’s hard to not get caught up with the buzz of college, so staying in tune with your chill side is vital.

Most of all, remember you will pull through! Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and if you aren’t going home like I am, keep in mind winter break is coming up fast. Before you know it, it will be time to register for spring classes, and soon enough you’ll be back at school with a semester of college experience under your wing, and a brand new one on the horizon. But before that commences, you’ll have a whole month at home to play with your dog, eat actual scrambled eggs for breakfast, and most of all, relax.

Ann Marie is a fourth year Art History major at The George Washington University. This Southern Californian is happy to call Washington, D.C. her second home, is a sister of the Delta Gamma fraternity, and is also a culture writer for the student-run newspaper, The GW Hatchet. She spent last fall studying abroad along the coast of The Great Barrier Reef, Australia and intends to continue her traveling post-grad.