GWU Competition: It’s Everywhere.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We all live in a world where the competition is fierce; whether we are applying to colleges, or jobs, or playing sports, or meeting boys, we are ALWAYS competing. At times, it is far too easy to cross the line between constructive competition and sheer aggression. But where is that line? At what point do we cross over from competition against ourselves to challenging our peers just for the sake of feeling superior? I often have to keep myself in check to make sure that my competitive nature is not hindering my relationships with others, or even my own success. I should be competing against myself in an effort to better myself, not to be better than someone else. However, it’s hard to keep from competing against others when we’re constantly being compared to our peers. For example, we are given statistics on how the rest of the class did on a test compared to how we did, or we see a number on a score board that tells us which team ‘won.’ So what does this translate to? Does it mean we’re superior/inferior to other people, or does it mean we’ve done our best/need to try harder? The line between ‘positive’ competition and ‘negative’ competition has been muddied for nearly our entire lives, which leaves me to wonder if it’s possible to cooperate AND compete simultaneously. 

One of the most useful exercises I have partaken in since attending GW has been group projects. I haven’t had a group project since middle school, so when my professor proposed the idea to me I was taken aback. My first question regarding the assignment was whether there would be a peer evaluation, for I feared that I would have to do all the work myself to compensate for my less motivated group partners. I attribute this reaction to the fact that I have been in a hyper competitive environment all my life. I did not realize that I could cooperate with others, and still compete against myself at the same time. My peers taught me so much more than I could have learned doing the project myself; their diverse perspectives brought a new flavor to the work. Yet, I was still working hard in an effort to produce my own personal best work. I suppose this is an example of cooperation and competition occurring simultaneously. We have been socialized to believe that they are always opposite, that competition is simply of function of your relationship to others. I want you to change that perspective; to look at competition from a different angle. Constantly competing against others and comparing yourself to a completely different individual is not worth your time. There are so many circumstances that contribute to shaping an individual that you simply cannot relate or compare yourself to, so stop trying.

When you think of competition, think about working against yourself. Don’t give into your laziness, or frustration, or apathy. Do what you need to do, beat the parts of yourself that resist work and success. There is no score board, or statistic for this type of competition, but it does not mean it’s not valid. Try to compete against yourself in an effort to be the best you can be, regardless of anyone else. 

Photo Courtesy: http://static.tvfanatic.com/images/gallery/cat-fight.jpg

Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.