Dont Let Your Hair Fall Flat This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It’s Friday night and you want sexy, big hair a la Kim Kardashian or Beyonce to go with your brand new clubbing attire. Your hair is naturally pretty straight, but you are determined to give it a boost. Much to your dismay, you end up spending an hour and half in your cramped bathroom with your curling iron only for your hair to fall flat ten minutes later.  The solution: a flat iron. Yes, you heard me correctly- a flat iron will fix this problem.

A flat iron will keep your hair from going, well, flat because it does what a scissor does for ribbon: it creates dents in your hair that will cause it to naturally curl rather than rely on heat that will later cool like a curling iron does. As you dance through the night, the curls will remain full and in tact.

Check out YouTube Beauty Guru Kandee Johnson’s video on how to properly use the flat iron to get your hair in high gear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIXqGjEO4Z8

Tips of the Trade:

• · All flat irons can curl. It does not matter what brand the flat iron is or how much it cost. If it heats up, you’re all set.
  • · Do not hairspray every piece of hair. Curl in layers and split each layer onto one side of your head. Once each side is done, spray the pieces together. Too much hairspray will weigh the curls down and ultimately make them go flat.
  • · Once all of your hair is curled, gently brush through the curls to achieve a more natural, bouncy look.
  • · The slower you pull the flat iron through the piece of hair, the tighter the curl will be and vice versa.
  • · At the end of the night, lightly brush through your hair and twist it into a loose, high bun and secure with a hair tie. When you wake up, your hair will still have most of the bounce from the night before. 
Nicole Robert is a senior from North Salem, New York. She transferred from the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and this is her third year at The George Washington University. She studies International Affairs with a concentration in Global Public Health, and minors in Public Health. A sister of Delta Gamma, Nicole loves to participate in many community service opportunities. She also interns at Washington Life Magazine and works as a hostess at a local restaurant. When Nicole is not studying or working, she is writing blog posts for The Avant Guide, an up and coming fashion company. She credits Pandora and her personal Tumblr for motivation and a creative outlet.