This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Those teary-eyed “see you laters” to my family outside of my dorm never get easier. Despite living a meer four hourlong car ride away from home, or an even quicker hourlong flight, I still find myself missing the ease of being with my family and longtime friends. Throughout my last three semesters of college, I discovered ways homesick college students, like myself, can make themselves feel right at home in Washington D.C.

1. Call your family and friends!

A quick FaceTime call to my family radiates sunshine on the cloudiest of days. My mom’s contagious laugh is exactly what I need to hear on a stressful day. Make the time to call your loved ones in-between your classes or while waiting in the never-ending line at GW Deli. Vent about the loud construction that woke you up or boast about your latest “A” in whatever tough class you’re taking. A familiar voice can be very uplifting.

2. Always pack your favorite snacks from home!

I currently have 10 packs of pierogi, delectable Polish dumplings, waiting for me to devour them in my freezer. I also have a pantry full of traditional Polish treats, such as Delicje – soft biscuit cookies, topped with scrumptious raspberry jelly and covered in the finest dark chocolate Poland has to offer. One bite into these delicacies brings back the most sentimental memories of the days I spent with my grandparents in Poland. 

3. Decorate your room!

Put up pictures of your most treasured memories with the people you cherish. If you’re feeling down, just look up at your wall and reminisce about all the exciting adventures you had with your friends back home. Fill your dorm with whatever posters bring you joy, and make it a place you can unwind and relax. 

4. Be social!

It is easy to feel alone on a campus with over 10,000 strangers, therefore, it is important to make friends and find people who will feel like home to you. Start a conversation with whoever sits next to you in class. Join a campus organization. Simply put, make every effort to find the people you can create endless inside jokes with and always count on.

Savannah is a junior at The George Washington University. She has a passion for sports and broadcasts for GW-TV Unstoppable, covering many sports games and events at GW. When she's not watching sports, Savannah enjoys trying new restaurants and tasting different pasta recipes, her favorite dish to eat.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.