This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Who doesn’t like spending a Saturday night on the couch with girlfriends, a bowl full of buttery popcorn, and a romantic comedy that makes you laugh while simultaneously falling in love with the dashing lead character. Some rom-coms totally captivate you while others leave you questioning why you just wasted 2 hours of your life. With endless options, picking a rom-com can be difficult. That’s why I picked out some of my personal favorites that I believe are worth watching on a night in. 

1. Just Friends

I’m sure some of you have dealt with the unpleasant position of being put in the friend-zone, or having to put someone in the friend-zone. In Just Friends, high school student, Chris, played by Ryan Reynolds, deals with just that. Chris confesses his love to his best friend Jamie, Amy Smart, who doesn’t feel the same way, leaving him heartbroken. Ten years later, a new and improved Chris moves back home in attempt to win over Jamie’s love through a series of embarrassingly funny events. This rom-com will definitely keep you entertained, laughing, and hoping for Chris to end up with his dream girl.

1. About Time

About Time is the perfect movie to teach you that love is not easy, nor is it always rainbows and butterflies. In this film, Tim Lake learns a family secret: every man in the family has the power to travel back in time. Tim takes advantage of this ability by going back and redoing awkward or unsuccessful encounters with his girlfriend Mary. Eventually, all the time traveling catches up to him, and he learns the lessons of messing with the way things are supposed to pan out. Rachel McAdams and Domhnall Gleeson’s characters due an excellent job at showcasing the ups and downs of a relationship and the need to be authentic with your loved ones.

1. The Break-Up

If you’ve recently gotten out of a relationship, and need a laugh, The Break-up is for you. If you’ve recently gotten a relationship, and need to cry, then I suggest watching The Notebook. In The Break-up Jennifer Aniston and Vince Vaughn play a couple who break-up and decide to still live together as roomates since neither wants to move out of their condo. The two attempt to irritate each other in an effort to get the other to give in and move out. If the plot itself doesn’t already intrigue you (which it should) I recommend watching the movie and seeing how long it takes you to laugh. 

1. To All The Boys I’ve Loved before

You’ve probably heard about To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before because of the lead male character, Noah Centineo. Every teenage girl practically fell in love with him after they saw him play the studly and confident Peter Kavinsky. This teen romance is centered on Lara Jean, who gets herself into quite the predicament, after private letters written to boys she feels strongly about, with no intention of sending them, are unknowingly mailed. One recipient, Peter Kavinsky, confronts Lara Jean and, after talking, the two agree to date in order to make Peter’s ex jealous. I’m sure you can assume what happens in the end, but yes Peter and Lara Jean’s feelings towards each other definitely begin to take a turn in a different direction. This movie is definitely your classic teen rom-com in which you can expect most outcomes, and it may be a little cliché, but come on, sometimes these types of movies are the best ones to watch. With a sequel in the making, and a third movie confirmed, To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is definitely a fan favorite.  

1. Mamma Mia

I know it’s a classic, but it also happens to be one of my favorite movies, and if you don’t know what Mamma Mia is based on then I’m positive you’ve been living under a rock. But, basically, in effort to find out who her father is, 20-year old bride-to-be Sophie invites three men from her mom’s past to her wedding in Greece. Throughout the movie the star studded cast which includes, Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, and Pierce Brosnan, sing different hits written by the band ABBA, such as “Dancing Queen,” and “Voulez-Vous,” which correspond with the characters’ circumstances. If you enjoy both romantic comedies and musicals (and especially ABBA’s music) I suggest watching Mamma Mia if you haven’t already had the chance.

Michela Manocherian is a junior at The George Washington University majoring in Political Science and minoring in Journalism and Mass Communication. In her free time, she enjoys baking, boxing, and spending time with friends.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.