The Best Holiday Events in DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

“Ugh, the holidays in Washington, DC are so boring!” said no one ever. Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, our nation’s capital is busy at work preparing for a season of holiday cheer—and there’s sure to be something for everyone. And if you’ve got a plus one, some of these holiday events (outdoor ice skating, anyone?) make for awesome date ideas. So take advantage of all the holiday-themed events going in in DC, and read on to find an event that appeals to you!

Christmas Tree Lighting – Feeling festive this holiday season? Tune in online (tickets have already been distributed) on December 6th  at 4:30 pm to the ceremony in which the President himself turns on the lights to the National Christmas tree! Hosted by Neil Patrick Harris, the event will feature performances from The Fray, Colbie Caillat, and Jason Mraz, among others. If you can’t make it to the opening ceremony, the tree will be open to visitors from December 7th to January 1st. Find out more information here.

Hanukkah Menorah Lighting – Joining the National Christmas tree a few days later is the National Menorah, which is being lit on the first night of Hanukkah (this year, on December 9th) on the Ellipse. Tickets are free, and the event will have hot latkes (potato pancakes) and donuts, menorah kits, and dreidels! Find out more information here.

Brookside Gardens Light Show – Boasting more than 1 million LED lights, this Wheaton, MD park transforms into a winter wonderland this holiday season. Perfect for a date night or for those itching to get out of Washington DC, the half-mile festive display is sure to get you in the holiday mood! Find out more information here.

Water-Skiing Santa – Yes, you read that right. For those looking for a less traditional, but still festive, holiday event, this performance, taking place on the banks of the Potomac River, takes place on Christmas Eve at 1:00 pm sharp (if you’re late you’ll miss out!). Joining Santa in his water festivities are some seasonal pals, including the Flying Elves, the Jet-Skiing Grinch, and Frosty the Snowman in a dinghy. Where’s the best viewing spot? Click here to find out and for more information.

ZooLights – For a lights show inside the city, the National Zoo is hosting ZooLights, a fun, festive, and free event! More than half a million LED lights illuminate the zoo, and this seasonal opportunity is not one to be missed! For information about food & drink, free events, paid events, and other entertainment, visit their website here.

Christmas at Mount Vernon – Visit the home of George and Martha Washington during the holiday season, and feast your eyes on the 12 christmas trees adorning the estate, as well as a gingerbread Mount Vernon! While noshing from chocolate-making demonstrations, get a feel for an authentic Christmas—GW style! More information is available here.

Ice Skating – Nothing screams date more than an outdoor ice skating rink! Washington DC gives you two—equally romantic—choices this holiday season: Skate at the National Gallery of Art (info here) or down by the Georgetown Waterfront (info here). Either way, a more perfect date could not be had this holiday season.

With finals looming just ahead, many of us are tempted to stay comfortably inside the Foggy Bottom bubble. Of course, studies should come first, but take a break every once in a while to take advantage of all the holiday cheer DC has to offer! Now, if only getting rid of ugly christmas sweaters was this easy…

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.