Ashwin Narla ’13: Student Association President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Ashwin Narla
Year: 2013
Hometown: Richmond, Virginia
Major: Criminal Justice

What influenced you to attend this school?
Three things: Diversity, Location, and Opportunity. I really liked how diverse the student population was at GW. More specifically, I liked how students at GW come from all across the country and the world. Also, when I toured GW I realized how great the location is and in turn the unique opportunities.

What organizations are you involved in here?
I am a brother of Sigma Chi. Right now, I am only involved with the Student Association and participate in intramural sports with my friends. Before this, I was involved with Alternative Breaks and Colonial Inauguration.

So you’re the President of Student Association. The Big Dog, the Head
Honcho. What are some ups and downs of the executive life, Mr. President?

There are definitely more ups than downs. The ups are you get to meet a lot of great people, learn more about the university, and get to learn a lot about yourself. The downs are I’m a lot busier and my inbox never seems to stop getting emails. All in all it’s a lot of fun and a very rewarding experience.

How do you handle your schoolwork with all of your responsibilities?

It’s a tough balance that I am continuing to work on. The schedule is demanding (everyone has a busy schedule at GW) but I block out time in my schedule to work solely on academics.

Now that you’ve conquered GW, do you think the Oval Office is in your
future?

Haha. The Oval office is not something I think about. I am still in the stage of uncertainty of what I want to pursue in the future. My hope is to attend law school and work in a district attorney’s office (possibly back home in Richmond).

What would you say is one of your greatest achievements? What is one of
your biggest goals?

This is a tough question. I think my greatest achievement is making the decision to attend GW and then leading an alternative break trip. The Alternative Breaks program at GW is absolutely fantastic and I highly recommend that every student should go on at least one alternative break trip.

My biggest goal is to attend law school (right now).