5 Books to Read to Be “The Mysterious Girl on the Train”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We’ve all seen her: that cool girl on the train. She usually comes out in the colder seasons, stepping onto the metro with an air of confidence and nonchalance. She picks a seat by the window, leaning back against it with music in her ears – though you don’t know what she’s listening to, you’re certain that it’s a perfectly curated playlist. Then, when she’s finally comfortable, she reaches into her bag and pulls out a book – the perfect book. The book is modern, but not too modern, a classic in some ways and obscure in others, with intricate, but somehow easy-to-read language. The book is cool and mysterious: perfect for our Cool and Mysterious Girl on the Train.

We’ve all seen her and we all, to some extent, want to be her. Of course, much of the Mysterious Girl persona is about the attitude – the laissez-faire aura emanating from her. However, I would argue that a key step in achieving that attitude is believing in it. It’s not about looking cool to other people; it’s about you feeling cool. For that to happen, all you have to do is adopt the “fake it ‘till you make it mindset,” and the pieces will fall into place. The easiest place to start is with the right book.

1. After Dark by Haruki murakami

After Dark by Haruki Murakami (2004) takes readers on a nocturnal journey through the streets of Tokyo. The story revolves around the lives of various characters whose paths cross in unexpected ways, delving into the human psyche to reveal hidden desires and the complexities of urban existence. With Murakami’s signature blend of surrealism and introspection, After Dark explores the world that comes to life when the city sleeps. Truthfully, this book is first on this list because it’s what inspired the list – I, myself, read this book on a long metro ride and felt like the embodiment of Mysterious Girl on the Train. That being said, while Murakami’s uncomfortably honest narration style isn’t for everyone, After Dark is a bit less abruptly truthful than some of his others, and the urban backdrop is ideal for achieving that aforementioned aura of mystery. 

2. The Shadow of the Wind By Carlos Ruiz Zafón

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón (2001) explores a captivating mystery set in post-war Barcelona. The protagonist, Daniel, discovers a hidden library known as the Cemetery of Forgotten Books. Within this sanctuary of neglected literature, he selects a novel by an obscure author named Julián Carax, setting off a chain of events that intertwines their fates. As Daniel delves into Carax’s past and the dark secrets surrounding his life and work, the story evolves into a heartbreaking exploration of love, loss, and the enduring power of storytelling. A classic for a reason, I frankly believe anyone who claims to be a bibliophile (which, of course, Mysterious Girl on the Train is) would delight in this novel, which in a lot of ways, is a love letter to books. 

3. The Master and Margarita By Mikhail Bulgakov

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (1967) is a literary masterpiece. Taking readers on a surreal journey through 1930s Moscow, the Devil himself, in the guise of the enigmatic Professor Woland, arrives in the city with a peculiar entourage, unleashing chaos and absurdity. At the heart of the story is the romance between the Master, a writer, and Margarita, his lover. As the narrative oscillates between their poignant love story and the devilish pranks of Woland, it explores themes of artistic creation, censorship, and the nature of good and evil. If you’re looking for a book that you’ll think about for days after reading, this is the one. It’s a modern classic that’s extremely complex thematically but not linguistically – the language is beautiful without being hard to understand. Plus, every Mysterious Girl needs an intellectual read now and again, right? 

4. The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern 

The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern (2019) is an enchanting and intricately woven tapestry of stories within stories (that all intertwine in the end). Zachary Rawlins, a graduate student and gamer, stumbles upon a mysterious book that strangely contains details from his own life. This discovery leads him to a hidden underground library, the Starless Sea – a place of lost cities, hidden doorways, and endless tales. As Zachary navigates this surreal world, he discovers connections to a secret society, a love story that transcends time, and a fabled book that binds them all. This book is a selfish pick, being one of my personal favorites, but come on – even the cover screams “mysterious and cool.” And if the cover doesn’t sweep you off your feet, the delicacy of the writing style is bound to. 

5. Misery by Stephen King 

Misery by Stephen King (1987) is a classic thriller that delves into the darkest corners of obsession and horror. It’s a well-known Stephen King novel, but is just obscure enough to be eye-catching. The story centers around successful novelist Paul Sheldon, who finds himself in the clutches of his alarmingly devoted fan, Annie Wilkes after a car accident leaves him injured and stranded in a remote location. Annie, a former nurse, reveals her unstable nature as she holds Paul captive, forcing him to write a book to her twisted specifications. The novel is a fascinating exploration of the author-reader dynamic, with Annie depicting the extremes of fandom and the terrifying consequences of obsession. It’s the perfect fall read that’s sure to make your train ride go by quickly and earn you some brownie points with onlookers. 

As mentioned before, The Mysterious Girl on the Train is a mindset above all else. Hopefully, with some of these books, those of us wanting to embody that outlook can get one step closer to doing so (and get a good read out of it).

Rota is a sophomore at The George Washington University. She is a Creative Writing and English major with a minor in psychology. She loves words more than anything.