The 10 Best Things About Coming Back to GW from Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It is no secret that returning to the United States after studying abroad can bring about reverse culture shock. After four months (or more) of living in a foreign land, following different customs, eating different food, and maybe even speaking a new language, going back to your day-to-day life in U.S. can be challenging. Even worse is returning to the demands of your academic life. After a semester of what were probably much more relaxed, low-stakes classes, jumping into a new GW semester of major seminars, internships, career planning, and the jumble of daily errands that build up on your to-do list can be daunting.

You can look at this one of two ways. You could see it as your rude awakening back into the real world, with all of the stress and pressure of rapidly approaching post-grad life. Or, you could think of it as a celebration: a triumphant return back to the campus and city you know and love. Personally, I am going with the latter. I am thrilled to be back, for a lot of different reasons – but I have compiled my top ten below.

10. You have the chance to be a tourist again. After a semester of travel, it is refreshing to bring that same wanderlust back to your own city. GW students have four years to live in DC, and it is never too late to make the most of them. For starters, there’s all of the monuments to visit (especially my personal favorite, the Lincoln Memorial, which is a must-see at sunset); performances to see at the Kennedy Center; the Smithsonian museums, or, for something different, the Newseum to explore; and let’s not forget Arlington Cemetery and Old Town Alexandria, both just a short Metro ride away.

9. Springtime in DC is the best. What would you rather miss, a dreary fall semester or a sunny and warm spring? Coming back in January puts you in a prime position to enjoy the best weather that DC has to offer, not to mention all of the great springtime traditions that come with it. Break out your favorite spring dress and wedges and go exploring. There’s the cherry blossoms, paddle boating in the Tidal Basin, and sunbathing and picnics on the Mall. On campus, there’s the annual Holi celebration in the quad (that’s the one where people pelt each other with colorful paint powder), and, for those involved with Greek life, there’s the enticing array of outdoor fraternity philanthropies, complete with long, sunny days, the opportunity to wear neon, and, of course, refreshments.

8. You can jump back into the nightlife. Spring semester is replete not only with long weekends, but with the holidays that justify them, and all of the celebrating they inspire. There will be plenty of parties and theme parties alike to celebrate these holidays, but if you would rather go out on the town, ’tis the season to return to bars like McFadden’s, Sign of the Whale, Brass Monkey, or wherever else your heart desires.

7. You can embrace all of American culture. Speaking of holidays, now is the time to fully celebrate all of them! After a semester abroad, where many holidays aren’t celebrated the same way that they are here – or even observed at all, in some cases – the spring is the perfect time to make the most of all of the American traditions you have missed. Starting with this weekend, there’s MLK Day; then, in February, Valentine’s Day and Presidents’ Day; in March, Mardi Gras, St. Patrick’s Day, and spring break; April, April Fool’s and Easter; and May, Cinco de Mayo, of course. And beyond holidays, there’s good ol’ American TV to catch up on: The Real Housewives, The Bachelor, and all of the other guilty pleasure reality TV shows that you did not have access to abroad.

6. You can get involved in your student orgs again. From the GW College Republicans to the many theater and a capella groups on campus, our study body has a diverse range of interests, and you doubtless have followed your passions by joining at least one on-campus group or club. Now that you are home, you are free to continue pursuing your interests by renewing your involvement in these students orgs! Whether it is by diving back into Greek Life, writing new articles for The Hatchet, or redoubling your efforts with Camp Kesem, there is nothing more rewarding than being able to do something that you love.

5. You receive the gift of a fresh start. Just like Semisonic says in the song “Closing Time,” every new beginning comes some other beginning’s end. Starting a new chapter abroad was scary and exciting, and coming home can be, too. But, again, if you approach spring semester as another new chapter full of new possibilities, coming back is that much easier. Sure, study abroad is a chance to change and leave things behind, but you can bring those changes back home, apply them to your life at GW, and continue to grow. Your journey does not have to end just because you are back in familiar territory.

4. You realize that you have a new perspective. Also on the topic of change, it is interesting to think about how the same old things – from classes to meetings to just walking down 23rd Street – will seem to you upon your return. After months of living what will feel like another life, having experiences that take your breath away and re-shape the way you view the world, it is natural that everything at home will appear differently to you, too. The beauty of it, at least for me, is that I have begun to appreciate my life here so much more. Sure, I miss a lot of things about Madrid; but leaving behind the beloved and familiar here in the United States helped me realize how lucky I am to have all of those things. Returning has only made me even more grateful and appreciative for all that I am blessed with.

3. The food. Come on, admit it. You missed it, all of the DC cuisine: the Indian, Thai, and Ethiopian, for starters; brunch, complete with syrup and bacon; juicy American hamburgers; Whole Foods, with its pizza, sushi, sandwiches, and overpriced organic groceries; Crepeaway, Sprinkles, and Pinkberry; even the food trucks. And the list goes on. Nothing says home like eating all of your favorite foods again…

2. The people. …With all of your best friends. I know, some people return to GW only to have their BFFs about to take off on their own study abroad adventures. But, for the lucky ones among us, coming home to GW means coming home to their college family: boyfriends or girlfriends, freshman floormates, sorority sisters, student org companions, friends in your major. It is not easy to spend an entire semester away from the people you love, and the new semester gives you the opportunity to make up for lost time, making new memories and embarking on new adventures – or even just staying home, reminiscing, and appreciating your time together.

1. The memories. Just because study abroad is over does not mean you will forget about it. Spend some time this spring commemorating your experience: make a scrapbook, a slideshow, or do something as simple as write about it. If you studied somewhere non-English speaking, keep your language skills sharp by continuing to practice with people from your program, or with language exchange partners. Organize reunions and share stories with other people who went abroad, whether on your program or in your region. And above all, do not forget all that you learned, or how lucky you were to have the opportunity to see that world.

Carly Buchanan is a member of the class of 2015 at the George Washington University, where she is a journalism and mass communication major at the School of Media and Public Affairs. In addition to writing for HerCampus, she is a communications intern, guest contributor for Green Connections Media, and member of the Phi Sigma Sigma sorority. She spent the Fall 2013 semester studying abroad in Madrid, Spain, and currently resides in Washington, D.C. Passionate about music, especially hits of the '90's, Carly also prides herself on her New England roots and mental catalog of rom-com knowledge.  You can find her on Twitter at @buchanan_carly.
Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.