tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
tyler nix Pw5uvsFcGF4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Why You Should Hug Your Friends Everyday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Let’s face it, we all have bad days. Sometimes we even have bad weeks! Whether it be tough assignments or a rough nights sleep, life can get you down and it’s not always easy to get back up from it. What is something that makes most people a little happier? Hugs! Hugging someone releases a hormone called oxytocin which will not only make you feel better, but is key to living just a little healthier, too.

As a senior in high school, I went on a few overnight stays at colleges during my search. One thing I noticed as I was hanging out with my host was that a lot of these girls hugged each other a lot. I thought it was a little strange at first, since it wasn’t something I experienced much with my friends, or witnessed happening much at all when it came to anyone at my high school. This behavior wasn’t specific to just one college either, it was common with every visit I did. Now fast forward to when I first started college my first year, I saw a lot of people getting hugs from their friends, and I experienced myself doing the same thing too. In college, especially when you’re a First-year, you’re going through a big change in your life, and your family isn’t around to give you the support you need. You’re pretty much on your own, and that can be a little scary and take a toll on you, no matter how independent you are.

Physical touch is a lot more important than we may think, and as a society that likes personal space, we probably aren’t getting the “love” we need. Nothing beats a hug from your parents, but a hug from someone else you’re close to is almost as good. As stress increases as we get older, it’s important to check up on your friends and make sure you are showing you care. There’s no better way to do that than will a big ole bear hug. So hug your friends, show your love, and let our good friend oxytocin do it’s magic. You never know how much someone might need it.