The More Important Freshman Fifteen: Advice for Your First Year on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Dear first-years,

Last year, students looked up to you. You were the best, the wisest. You walked the halls like you owned the place; you were a senior. This year, you’ve taken a 180-degree turn back to “freshman” status. Don’t worry though–we won’t let you flounder. Something that you will learn very early on is that Gusties stick together.

So that you may never feel lost during your first year here on the hill, we’ve compiled a list of GAC tips to keep in mind and ease your nerves.

1. The caf closes at 11 p.m. and the food you probably really like is done being served around 8. Pizza and sandwiches are still served past that time, but if those aren’t your favorite, your selection is limited. Plan accordingly. 

2. It is windy. Dress yourself with this in mind. You don’t want to have a Marilyn Monroe situation while walking to class. 

3. Safe Rides start at 7 p.m. and last until 1 a.m. every night (November 1st through April 1st pick-ups will begin at 6 p.m.).

Here is a list of locations you can ask to be picked up:

PICK-UP/DROP-OFF LOCATIONS

NORELIUS HALL – Main door entryway by bench

THREE FLAGS CIRCLE – West side of circle

NORTH HALL – On circle drive sidewalk

SEVENTH STREET HOUSES – In front of Walker House

RUNDSTROM HALL – In front of Rundstrom Hall

SOHRE HALL – Across street from Sohre Hall

ARBOR VIEW APARTMENTS – By Residential Life parking space

MUSIC BUILDING SOUTH – South end of music building

NOBEL HALL – SW entry by parking lot

CHAPEL CIRCLE – NW side of the Chapel

INTERNATIONAL HOUSE – Entryway of International House

LUND CENTER – SE corner of building in Lund Circle

COLLEGE VIEW APARTMENTS – NW entryway by Tennis Bubble

CHAPEL VIEW TOWNHOMES – By fence around trash containers

4. You cannot go Greek as a freshman, so explore other organizations and use the time to find other activities that you LOVE. Then when recruitment events start up in the spring, you can attend.

5. Sporting events are FREE (until playoffs) so go out and cheer on your fellow Gusties. Sporting events are more fun with a large crowd! 

6. Medical Amnesty. If you haven’t heard about it, I’m glad you’re reading this. If your friend is suffering after a night out partying, but you don’t want anyone to get in trouble, call MEDICAL AMNESTY. This ensures that the focus is on helping the student(s) in need and not that they have been drinking. Even if you don’t drink, you never know when you will stumble upon someone who has been and needs medical assistance. The number is listed below. PLEASE enter it into your phone. (**FYI: Medical Amnesty will only work if it is the first thing you say when you dial the phone number and someone picks up.**) 

7. There will be fire drills. Prepare yourself. Understand why it is being done and do not just see it as an inconvenience to you. Your safety is so important, so make sure to leave the building EVERY SINGLE TIME the alarm goes off, or this photo could become a reality! *Yikes*

8. You can access your dorm at all hours. Keycards to other dorms stop working at 11 p.m.

9. Be careful what you spend in the Book Mark, you’ll have to pay off any charges you make to your student account later. Swiping your card there does not deduct from your caf account.

10. You can still try out for sports. You did not have to get recruited to participate.. So go ahead and try out! Plus, most teams have a JV and a Varsity roster! 

11. The ATM in Campus Center charges a fee. The ATM at KwikTrip does not. 

12. Do not leave your laundry in the washer for too long. Someone WILL come along and throw it on the floor, you will lose your spot in the laundry line-up, you will have a lot of hang drying to do, and you will be sad with wrinkly clothes. 

13. Ask upperclassmen for “Caf Creations.” Eating in the caf everyday can get boring. Learn how to spice it up by mixing food from different lines and getting creative. Check out this article for inspiration! 

14. The pool is open to the public and there is a hot tub and a sauna! Go have fun!

15. This is the Gustie Rouser:

C’mon, you Gusties,

Fight on! Fight on!

Shout out the battle cry of victory!

C’mon you Gusties,

Fight ’till the end!

Fight on for dear old G. A. C.!

Gusties will shine tonight!

Gusties will shine! Hey!

Gusties will shine tonight!

Gusties will shine! Hey!

Gusties will shine tonight!

Gusties will shine! (DO NOT SAY “HEY!” THIS TIME! PROMISE ME YOU WON’T SAY IT!)

Beat ’em, Bust ’em!

That’s our custom!

Gusties will shine!

MORE NUMBERS TO ADD INTO YOUR PHONE:

Domino’s Pizza: (507) 934-9112

Erberts & Gerberts: (507) 934-2020

Safe Rides: 507-933-7000

Medical Amnesty: 507-933-8888

Gus Bus: 507-934-6070

China Town: 507-934-5566

Welcome to college, Gusties! This is going to be a fun year and we are glad you’re along for the ride. Now, go learn that rouser!

HCXO,

The Gustavus Her Campus Team