Jesus Week at Gustavus: An Open Invitation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.
A year ago, a group of Christian leaders gathered in Belle Plaine, Minnesota to talk about the future ministries on this campus. As they sat in a crowded room, ideas for spreading ministry on the Gustavus campus flying through the air, one of the ideas proposed was Jesus Week. The main goals of Jesus Week are: to devote an entire week to illustrate who Jesus is, talk about what it means to follow Him, and to promote general discussion. This week was planned by all of the Christian orgs on campus, the office of the Chaplains, and specifically Amy Jensen, Ryan Prichard, Emily Severson, Britta Powell, and Kelson Oram. They all have the same goal in mind: to spread the news of God and to exemplify love on this campus. Throughout the week there will be different events that show what it is like to follow Christ and to illustrate Him to everyone. Listed below are the different ministry events that will happen on campus the week of April 24th through May 1st. 

Sunday, April 24: This day is sponsored by Gustavus Youth Outreach. At 2:30 pm until 4:00 pm they will be mulching in the Linnaeus Arboretum. Meet in front of the Interpretive Center at 2:30 pm for instructions. Later that night, GYO will be hosting a camp themed bonfire starting at 7:30 pm at the Complex bonfire pit. Come and have fellowship and just enjoy the nice weather!
Monday, April 25: This day is sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. They will be hosting a bonfire along with volleyball and other games at 7:00 pm at the Complex bonfire pit. Come and hang out with people and celebrate a great fellowship. Athletes and couch potatoes and everything in-between are invited join in on the festivities!

Tuesday, April 26: This day is sponsored by Proclaim. They will be putting on an outdoor worship service at the Sesquicentennial Plaza at 9:00 pm. Come as you are and bring a few friends!

Wednesday, April 27: This day is hosted by Prepare Ministries. They will be having student testimonies in the Dive with the question, “who do you say I am?” in mind. The event begins at 7:30 pm and goes until 9:00 pm. Come listen and support fellow students!

Thursday, April 28: Jesus Week tabling, where you can submit questions all week, culminates into a Jesus Panel from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm in the Courtyard Café featuring many different Gustavus staff and faculty members. They are open to any questions that you may have!

Cru will also be hosting Spiritual Speed Dating with snacks in the Dive at 9:00 pm. Come to meet some new faces and explore your own spirituality. You might even meet your soulmate (Jesus)! All are welcome!
Sunday, May 1: To close out the week, all of the Christian orgs will be putting on a Vespers Service in the Chapel. The title is “I Surrender All: A Vespers Service.” Come to learn more about trust and surrendering all. This service will be at 8:00 pm in the Chapel.  

If you have any questions about Christianity, other faiths, or the Christian orgs on campus, stop by the Jesus Week table outside the caf this week. All of the ministry events are free and open to anyone regardless of faith background. Hope to see you there! 

My name is Kristen and I am a sophomore Elementary Education Major at Gustavus. I love being involved on campus! Some of the organizations on campus that I am involved in are Gustavus Youth Outreach, Proclaim, Gustie Guides, Choir, and I write for HerCampus. I love music, Disney, Netflix, and spending time playing games.
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.