Gustie Alum and Nursing Lab Instructor: Jessica Helget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.
Nurses tend to have crazy busy schedules and and are usually juggling one billion other things on the side. Jessica Helget (Jessie) was not able to sit down to do an in person interview, but the responses I received just show how sweet, kind, and down to earth this mama, nurse, and lab instructor is and how lucky we are to have her at Gustavus in the Nursing Department. 

Jessie grew up in Sleepy Eye, Minnesota and is a 2011 Gustie alum, who graduated with a degree in Nursing. She chose Gustavus because of the small class sizes, it’s close to her hometown, the nursing program, and the softball team.

What led you to your career in nursing?
“My mother is a nurse along with my sister and many relatives. I loved listening to their stories growing up.”

What’s the best part of your job at Gustavus? 
“I love seeing the progress students make and the desire to learn!”

What’s your favorite skill to teach in lab? 
“Medication administration and giving shots!”

How do manage being a mother, wife, nurse, and lab instructor? 
“My planner ;) It keeps me organized so I don’t miss a thing!”

In nursing, nurses tend to get burned out. How do you manage your stress? What do you do to relieve your stress?
“I enjoy working out, shopping, being outside, and spending time with my family.”

What’s your spirit animal and why? 
“Maybe a dog? I feel like I am loyal to all things I do.”

What are you currently watching on Netflix right now? 
“Parenthood!”

Do you resonate with any of the characters on the show? If yes, then why? 
“I don’t to any of the characters in particular, but my family in general does to their family. It is such a ‘real’ show. Everything that happens, happens all the time in real life.  It makes it an easy show to relate to.”

What’s your go-to song when you need the extra motivation to get through the day? 
“Not one in particular – Pandora Pitch Perfect Radio!”

How would you describe your life in a six-word sentence/phrase?
“Be the best you can be.”
Hi! My name is Claire and I am one of the many writers for HER Campus at Gustavus. I am a Nursing Major and Peace Studies Minor. In my free time, I love doing yoga or drinking coffee/ tea. I have been to many places near and far, which includes: Mexico, Costa Rica, and South Africa. I think the most interesting thing about life is meeting new people and learning about their life stories. The best gift I believe we can share with the world is kindness and unbelievingly loud laughter. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or comments on the pieces I write. Stay happy and stay true to yourself. Namaste, Claire
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.