Gustavus Relay For Life 2016 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Relay for Life has come and gone once again on the hill, but it was one to remember. It was announced at the event that Relay at Gustavus raised almost $40,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society—way to go, Gusties! Between laughter, remembrance, racing for Panera bagels at 3 a.m., or Zumba at 4 a.m., Relay 2016 was one for the books!

At Relay, cancer survivors are encouraged to take the first lap around the track. Here’s a pic of all the Relay 2016 participants following suit after the cancer survivors took their lap! (Taken by HC Publicity & Marketing Exec, Benissa Uwamwiza!)

It’s truly a treasure to be given time to reflect on those we love who have battled this awful disease. Luminaria bags line the track to commemorate those we have lost and to celebrate those who have survived. Here’s a luminaria that our HC President, Shailagh Lannon, decorated in memory of her grandpa.

The night was full of fun activities—one of the best being five Gusties attempting to eat two pounds of hamburger, one pound of fries, a grilled cheese, plus more. My stomach hurts just thinking about it! Here’s a photo from Benissa of Gusties preparing for the Chuck Norris Challenge!

The Gustavus Swing Dancing Club performed at 12 a.m. and they were so great! Afterwards, they offered swing-dancing lessons for all those who were interested—it was awesome. Plus, check out that fabulous ending pose! Work it!

I wasn’t kidding when I said people were running laps at 3 a.m. From 2-3 a.m. it was “Power Hour”, where Relay held a contest to see how many laps you could do in an hour. Being a wimp, I only got in 42. The winner of A YEAR’S WORTH OF PANERA BAGELS got in 85 laps in an hour. Holy cow. Here’s a pic of me with my card with 42 hole-punches in it (and please excuse my appearance, it was 3 a.m. after all).

My dad bet my mom that I couldn’t stay the entire 12 hours, so naturally, I did. As I was stir-crazy after my attempt to win some free bagels, Snapchat became my best friend. So, here I am. Lying on the floor. In Lund. With my puppy tie blanket. Yeah, it’s kind of sad. (Also, I apparently didn’t know the difference between the words laying and lying at 3:30 in the morning.)

I made it. By 6:15 a.m. I was in my bed and ready to go to sleep as the sun rose. Relay 2016 was a fantastic experience and my lack of sleep was so worth if for such a great cause. I relayed for my mom and grandma, both courageous cancer survivors, but I also relayed for all of those that aren’t as lucky as the two of them. I couldn’t be more proud of Gustavus’ efforts to fund cancer research. 

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.