This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

When Kesha announced the release of her album Rainbow, both the middle schooler and feminist within me went wild. Not only is this her first album since Warrior in 2012, but Rainbow also symbolizes the artist’s perseverance and resilience in the face of adversity. Kesha’s career was put on hold as she went through a series of legal battles with her producer, Dr. Luke, who “sexually, physically, verbally and emotionally abused” her for years and, while Kesha is still legally tied to the Sony producer, she was able to produce her new album under subdivisions of the label, Kemosabe and RCA.

In an interview with Good Morning America this past August, Kesha opened up about the new album, commenting on how it saved her life. The album’s title is a symbol of hope, the colors representing her journey going through “something very hard, to making it through, not giving up, and finding empathy on the other side”.

While the album includes songs with her classic pop sound (such as in “Learn to Let Go,” “Hymn” and “Woman”), the album also showcases her voice in a way never seen before. From country influence in “Hunt You Down” and “Old Flames” to the sound of old school rock in “Let ‘Em Talk,” Rainbow’s diverse sound palette has a little something for everyone.

Whether you’re familiar with her music or not, Kesha’s Rainbow is worth the listen. Her powerful message, creative lyrics, and impressive vocal range will leave you feeling brave, bold, and a little bit colorful.

Spotify Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/album/1IYVB8NfiRqhdZlTxjspNh

President of Her Campus at Gustavus Senior Communication Studies 2018 TFA Corp Member Collegiate Fellow HGTV enthusiast