Action! LeRoy Neiman Takes the Hillstrom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

There is a new exhibit living in the Hillstrom Museum of Art here on campus and if you haven’t had a chance to check it out yet you definitely should! I had the chance to attend the opening of Action! The Anatomy of LeRoy Neiman’s Champions on Monday November 21 and had a fabulous time perusing the colorful and animated sketches and paintings generously organized by The LeRoy Neiman Foundation. The collection contains over 70 works by LeRoy Neiman (1921-2012), who focused on capturing the human form in motion, sketching and painting many famous athletes throughout his life. Below are a few of my favorite pieces from the collection.

Namath, Super Bowl III, 1969. Charcoal and watercolor on paper.

Bay Area Greats, 1989. Acrylic and enamel on board.

Curtis Johnson, c. 1970.  Felt pen and watercolor on paper.

Big Band, 2006. Charcoal on paper.

Circus, 2000. Acrylic and enamel on board.

The collection will be up in the Hillstrom until January 27. Whether you are a sports fan or just enjoy art, this exhibit is a must see! 

Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.