You Don’t Need to be an Artist to be Creative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Let me tell you a not-so-secret truth: you do not need to be an artist to be a creative person. You can find creativity in your everyday life! Creativity is a gift that too many of us take for granted, and without it, life seems a lot greyer. But there’s lots of research into harnessing the power of creativity in our everyday lives, adding colour and excitement to the mundane world. Read on to learn about my journey finding my creative side, and tips to find yours as well.  

As far back as I can remember, I’ve had a creative outlet. My grandma taught me how to sew roughly ten years ago, and I would spend summers making scrunchies or other crafts for my friends. I also used to be a dancer, and my weeknights for years were filled with improvised dance, learning routines, and generally expressing my ideas with my body. These early experiences in creativity served me well, and now I do something creative every day. But for those of us who didn’t have this opportunity, you can still learn to incorporate expression, art, and excitement into your life.  

In 1988, colleagues at Harvard Medical School defined the concept of everyday creativity as “expressions of originality and meaningfulness”. This concept is rooted in the notion of problem-solving. We each encounter problems we must solve countless times a day, and the way you approach these situations is really what makes you creative. Choosing creativity really is as easy as changing your approach to various scenarios. Imagine your morning routine consists of doing your makeup, making breakfast, and scrolling your feeds. First, you do your makeup: will you choose the same black eyeliner you wear every day, or should you try a new shade of eyeshadow from an old palette? Trying something new is a creative choice. After, you go to make the same toast and eggs as every morning. But what if you found a new recipe to experiment with? Cooking can be creative too! And finally, you sit down with your meal and start scrolling Instagram, like you do every morning. How about a new book instead? Reading is a great way to inject new ideas into your day.  

You see, it is really easy to make your same, boring routines more interesting, just by problem-solving in new ways. I feel most creative when I’m cooking new recipes, sewing designs I drew, or making collages and writing. But there are endless possibilities when it comes to creativity. Nobody thinks the exact same as you, and therefore nobody can create in the same way as you. Here are a few ways to inject creative inspiration into your life: fill your desk with colourful things that inspire you, like plants or photos; go to a new local restaurant you’ve never tried; spend a little time daydreaming, and slow down to actually enjoy the little things. Have you ever heard the expression of “stopping to smell the roses”? You must smell the roses every day, by allowing yourself to slow down and savor the experiences you’re having.  

Finally, I want to share a tip that I give all of my friends. If you don’t already have a creative outlet, find one. Task yourself with discovering at least one thing you can do daily, which should be enjoyable and allow for self-expression. Like I mentioned before, there are countless ways to go about this. I am an awful artist, but I love cutting up old National Geographic magazines and gluing photos into a collage. Maybe you enjoy working out – what if you tried a new exercise, like yoga or dance? Or perhaps you spend a lot of time writing for school – how would you feel if you took ten minutes a day to journal? If you intentionally bring a child-like sense of wonder, discovery, and curiosity into your life, I promise that your days will become much brighter. It worked for me, and I know it will work for you too.  

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!