Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness

Why I Switched to Reusable Pads

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

People with vaginas get periods. This is a fact of life, and nothing to feel ashamed or embarrassed about. It’s just something we have to deal with for a big chunk of our lives, so there’s no need to feel weird about it (yes, I am mostly just talking to myself so I don’t feel weird about writing this article). After getting a few ads on my social media, I recently made the choice to try reusable pads. Not only are single-use pads bad for our environment, but I have also found that they can be overall uncomfortable, so I was willing to give reusable pads a try after reading positive reviews of them.  

Some of the worries I had about reusable pads included: Are they uncomfortable? Are they hard to wash? Are they unsanitary? The answer to all of these questions: no! I was extremely happy with the way my new pads worked come that time of the month. Provided you do a little bit of research before using reusable pads (such as how to wash them properly), you shouldn’t have an issue.    

If you’re still unsure about switching to reusable pads, I did a little bit of research, so you don’t have to! Here are some benefits of using reusable pads:    

1. They’re good for the planet 

You get your period every month, for give or take 5 days, for a good portion of your life. That’s a lot of single-use plastic that takes hundreds of years to break down, just from one person. Now, multiply that number by a couple billion! Doing your part to cut out some of this plastic going into our landfills can go a long way, and this was a big reason why I wanted to give reusable pads a try.   

2. They’re good for your body 

As well as being good for the planet, reusable pads are healthier to use for your body. Disposable pads use plastic and synthetic fibers which can block airflow, cause rashes, and more. Studies have also found that women using reusable pads can sometimes get shorter periods and experience less cramping than those who use single-use products. I personally have found my own cramping (which is typically unbearable) to have lessened after my switch!   

3. They’re more comfortable and breathable than single-use pads 

One thing I love about my new reusable pads is how comfortable they are compared to single-use pads. As I said previously, disposable pads use plastic which can block airflow, which can be extremely uncomfortable. Reusable pads also stay in place far easier than I expected, don’t stick to the wrong places, and absorb moisture a lot better than single-use ones.  

4. They’re cost-effective 

Think about how much money you spend on pads. It adds up! I bought a 6-pack of reusable pads for about $70 from www.ecoperiod.co, which are good for about 5 years before they need to be replaced. Everyone’s periods are different and different people use different kinds of sanitary products at different paces, but say you buy a $10 pack of pads every four months for 5 years. That’s $150 dollars spent on pads, as opposed to the $70 I spent. I found 6 pads fine to get me through a cycle as long as they’re washed regularly, but you could even get 12 reusables for less money than that!  

5. They have cute designs!  

There are plenty of designs to choose from when you buy reusable pads from different sellers, from floral designs to cool patterns to animals. Mine have cute little whales on them, and I’d be lying if I said it didn’t make my periods even a little more bearable! 

6. You’ll never get caught off guard 

There’s nothing worse than starting your period and realizing you don’t have any pads or getting close to running out during your cycle when all you want to do is sit on the couch and watch Netflix. You won’t have to worry about this with reusable pads!  They’re not hard or gross to wash  

7. They’re not hard or gross to wash

One reason you might be hesitant to switch to reusable pads is because you don’t want to wash them. We’ve all had those days when our periods have taken us by surprise and we’ve had to wash the blood off our clothes – not that bad, right? It’s the same with cloth pads. I typically like to give mine an initial quick hand wash in cold water and then throw them in with the laundry, but everyone finds a routine that works best for them. 

In the end, I’d 100% recommend giving reusable pads a try if you’re looking to lessen your impact on the environment or willing to try something new. Sure, they’re a little more work than single-use pads (I still keep a pack of them for convenience, but I try not to use them if possible), but in the end, I think reusable is the way to go! 

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!