This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

What’s the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the word “soulmate”? Maybe you think of finding someone to get married to and spend the rest of your life with. Maybe you think of some cheesy Nicholas Sparks novel that you just know will turn your heart into mush. However, this isn’t what I think about when I think about my own soulmate. I think about the girl that happened to walk up to me in my middle school production of Fiddler on the Roof because she heard me talking about One Direction. My best friend, my other half, the one who’s been with me through thick and thin, and it all started with a conversation about a British boy band.

This girl has been my best friend for about eight or so years now, and I genuinely can’t imagine my life without her. In our eight years of friendship, I can only really remember two real arguments we’ve had – and one of them was so short-lived she slept over at my house that night. This is something I can’t even really comprehend, as disagreements are unavoidable in relationships. But somehow, the two of us understand each other completely. I don’t have to say how I’m feeling for her to know and vice versa.

Despite parting ways after high school graduation, we still make the effort to talk to each other every day. If a day goes by where I don’t speak to her, it just feels wrong. Even though we talk almost every day, we somehow never run out of things to talk about. Between texting, talking on the phone, playing games together, and being able to make the occasional plans, our friendship is stronger than ever – in fact, our closeness despite the distance just makes everything feel more special.

Sometimes I think of how all the stars had to align for us to meet and what would happen if we never did. I spent the first ten years of my life living in Bermuda before moving to Lindsay, Ontario when I was going into sixth grade. Now, I don’t know if you know where Lindsay is, but if you do, you’re probably thinking, “Now why on earth would her family move from a semi-tropical island to a place like Lindsay?” And it’s true, that town kind of sucks, but I honestly wouldn’t have taken anywhere else, because the people I met in my years there make it home to me. Both of my parents have moved from Lindsay now that my brother and I are both in school, but I still consider it my home because of the memories and friends I have made there, including my best friend. I can’t imagine my life without them.

I know it’s only been a couple years since I’ve been in high school, but I can’t imagine ever losing touch with her. She’s someone that I want to be close with for the rest of my life. She’s been making some big changes in her life recently and it amazes me to watch her grow as an individual. I hope that I can continue to watch her grow for a long time. She has so much potential and it makes me so very happy to see her thriving.

When most people talk about soulmates, they talk about the ones that you fall in love and spend the rest of your life with. But for me, I don’t think I will ever find anyone more suited for me than my best friend. Now, I don’t know if it’s possible to have more than one soulmate, but if not, sorry boys and girls – that position is taken.

Leah is a fourth year Marine Biology student at the University of Guelph and a writer and editor in chief for Her Campus. In her free time she can be found engaging in activities such as reading and writing, drinking iced coffee, playing video games and staring longingly at the dogs she’s not allowed to pet on campus.