This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Course selection can feel daunting if you’re not used to it. For many students, this is only the second time that you will be picking courses and that can seem daunting, as now you need to account for the fact that the courses you take now will lead into courses you take earlier. Many degree programs have set courses that you should take each semester, but if you’re in a degree that doesn’t like I am this is a very daunting task. 

Below I will outline my best tips for making sure that you take the courses you need, making sure your courses will lead well from one into the other, and ensuring that you’re going to enjoy your semester to the fullest! 

1. Plan out your degree as best you can 

In a degree where I don’t have a set degree plan, making my own has been incredibly beneficial. To do this, the best resource you have is your program counsellor. If you book an appointment and talk to them, they’ll be able to help figure out what you need to get the courses you want all the way through your last year. 

2. Review course requirements and offerings 

Make sure that you check what courses are offered in what semester and what prerequisites they require. Courses are often only offered during certain years and certain semesters (Example: FREN*3030- Good and Evil is only offered in the fall semester of odd numbered years). Most upper year courses also require specific prerequisites, and then those prerequisites often have prerequisites. This is why planning ahead is so important, that way you can go into course selection without worrying about getting the terrifying Gryph message that tells you the course is restricted to you. 

3. Balance your courses 

The last thing you want is to get into a semester and realize that you can’t handle the courses you have selected together. Gather information from people who have taken the course or talk to your program counsellor about the idea of your courses and how they will work together. This way, you won’t end up taking a semester that you can’t handle and not doing as well as you’d like. 

4. Pick them out ahead of time 

The courses for W20 are open already- so have a look a them! This way you can plan out what courses you want to take and make sure that none of them conflict. It also allows you to pick out backups in case you don’t get into one of the courses you want. 

5. Get up early 

None of us want to do it but being up at 8am when new sections open on your course selection day is essential for getting into the more crowded courses. Just get up for those 10 minutes to pick your courses, then you can go back to sleep before class. 

These are just initial steps you can take to keep yourself from getting overwhelmed during course selection. Of course do whatever works for you, but these will keep you from getting nervous or overwhelmed!

Arts and Sciences at Guelph. Interdisciplinary and loving it. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!