This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

One of the things I have always loved the most about Guelph is its diverse student population. We Gryphons come from a wide variety of backgrounds and interests. We have one thing in common, however: tuition. It is no secret that getting a university degree is not cheap, especially if you are an international student. It can be hard to balance all the finances sometimes, so I wanted to share a few small things I do to save some money.  

1. Attend events

The University of Guelph has many clubs and student organizations, and all of them host events. Whether it is a Kahoot, trivia night, or games night, there is always something to do. Aside from these events being tons of fun and a great way to meet people with similar interests, they also often include a raffle or giveaway. I have gotten many giftcards by attending events, and on top of it, you’ll have a great time! 

2. Keep an eye out for giveaways

Many of the University’s social media pages will often host giveaways. Two examples are SNAP (the nutritional department) and the UofG Bookstore. Make sure to follow all the university Instagram pages to stay up to date and enter as many giveaways as possible! 

3. Get groceries on discount days

 Some grocery stores in Guelph have student discounts on specific days. Metro, for example, offers 10% off for students who shop on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Planning your grocery trips can save you lots of money in the long run! 

4. Wait until the first lecture to buy your textbooks

When I started my first semester at UofG, I was so excited for my classes that I bought all the textbooks weeks in advance. In the end, I didn’t use half of them. Professors will usually specify what they mean by “required textbook” during their first lecture. Some classes you can do well in without the textbook, even if it is officially required. You can check out the Rate My Prof website to see if previous students think the textbook is necessary. It’s worth prioritizing which books you buy, as they are not cheap. 

5. Bring your own coffee/tea

 You don’t even want to know how much money I’ve spent in the past year on coffee and tea. Even if I tell myself I won’t buy anything, it is incredibly tempting to get a coffee from Starbucks. Invest in your own coffee machine or tea set so you can make a hot drink at home and bring it with you.  

6. Walk through the UC often 

This doesn’t apply to pandemic times, but once we are back to normal, make sure that every time you walk to a class you go through the UC. Most days there will be some sort of event going on, and lots of times there is free food and free goodies!  

I hope this helps! :) 

Maaike is an international student from Curacao in her sophomore year at the University of Guelph. Originally from the Netherlands, she loves cats, grilled cheese and reading (and watching the movie adaptations!).If she could live anywhere, it would be on Broadway.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!