This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

For anybody who knew what my sleeping schedule was like at the beginning of university, this article might be a bit of a shock. I used to love sleeping more than anything else, and even if I went to bed early, I would never get up earlier than 11 am! However, I’ve finally learned to love mornings. With my busy schedule, it’s sometimes the only time that I get to truly relax and enjoy myself. Waking up early also allows me to be productive and get some work done before all of my responsibilities for the day begin to pile up. If you struggle to get out of bed each morning, here’s how I became a morning person.

1. Start Slowly

You don’t have to wake up at 5 am on day one. It’s okay to start slowly to ease yourself into the habit of waking up early. Begin by waking up 15 minutes earlier than you normally would for a few days, and once you start feeling comfortable, push yourself to wake up 30 minutes earlier. After a few weeks, waking up early will come naturally.

2. Go to Bed Earlier

This is sooo much easier said than done…but if you want to truly enjoy your mornings, you need to regularly get a good night’s sleep so you can wake up feeling energized. If you find yourself staying up way too late night after night, ask yourself why! Is it because you’re busy with school work? Is it because you work late shifts? Or is it because you’re too stressed to fall asleep? Once you have identified the problem, you can make any necessary lifestyle changes to get those crucial extra hours of sleep.

3. Have Something to Look Forward To

It’s so much easier to get out of bed in the morning when you’re excited for the day ahead. Do something nice for yourself every morning that makes leaving your bed a little bit less painful. This could mean taking the time to cook yourself a big, delicious breakfast instead of having a quick bowl of cereal, or something as simple as watching an episode of your favourite show with a cup of coffee. Getting up is a lot easier when you have more to look forward to than hurrying to catch the bus.  

4. Make your Mornings Easier

In addition to having something to look forward to, it’s important to remove as much stress from your mornings as possible. If you bring a lunch to work or school, make it the night before so it’s ready when you leave. If you have dishes left over from dinner, wash them before you go to bed so you can make breakfast in a clean kitchen. If you often struggle to pick out an outfit for the day, plan one the night before and lay it out so it’s ready for you. These little things sound simple, but your mornings will be a lot easier if you don’t have to worry about a bunch of additional responsibilities. 

5. Make Time for Yourself

When you get into the habit of waking up early, you will have a lot of free time for yourself. It might be tempting to use this time to cram in a few more hours of studying, but there’s a lot of value of making time for yourself while the rest of the world is still sleeping. It’s too early to text your friends and social media is quiet, so take this time to do something to better yourself that you normally wouldn’t have the chance to do. You could go to the gym, read a book, or even just take some time to stretch or meditate. 

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!