This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

My second year at the University of Guelph was the biggest mess of my life. I lost a couple friends, a couple jobs, and I faced more obstacles than I ever could have imagined. Despite all of this, I learned a lot of valuable lessons that I will take with me through the second half of my undergrad. Here are the five things I learned throughout my second year at the University of Guelph.

1. Balancing a job with school is harder than it sounds

When I was in high school, I was obsessed with working. Some days I would work until as late as 11:00 pm at night, which never left much time for homework… but that didn’t matter because I never actually had homework. I mistakenly expected to be able to pull off the same kind of schedule in university, which was cool for a few weeks until midterm season hit. I quickly found it impossible to balance work, class, assignments, and studying. I cycled through more jobs than I’m willing to admit in order to find one with a schedule that matched my needs. The reality is that there’s no such thing as the perfect work schedule in university, and it’s all about your own time management skills… something I clearly didn’t possess.

2. Online classes are both a blessing and a curse

In first year I never went to class (sorry mom). This was partly due to my professors posting all of their notes online, but also because I feel as though I learn absolutely nothing from listening to someone read off a projector to a room of 400 people who are just as bored as I am. Second year came around, and I thought I was a genius by taking not one, not two, but three online classes in a semester. I had only three hours of class two days a week, and I was so excited to have a crazy amount of free time to do whatever I want. I was so, so wrong. Instead of sitting in Rozanski for a couple hours each week, I found myself spending entire days working on pointless assignments and unreasonably long readings. As much as I hate going to class, I would rather sit through a three-hour night class in War Mem than be faced with another mandatory discussion post.

3. Resolve issues with roommates before you sign the lease

In first year I felt unbelievably anxious about the issues I might come across with my future roommates, but they ended up becoming my best friends! When I signed a lease with three of my friends the following year, I figured it could only get better from there. I was so, so wrong. Oh my God, I could never be more wrong. Without going into great detail, it’s so important to discuss ground rules with your roommates before you sign the lease. If you’re a total neat-freak and your roommate cannot comprehend what the function of a dishwasher is, there will be problems when they see nothing wrong with mould growing on their four-day-old pile of dirty dishes. And that’s only the beginning.

Pictured: What my roommate describes to me as “not a big deal”

4. It’s okay to let go of friends

Without a doubt, the hardest part of second year was losing my best friend. Losing a friend is worse than any break-up I’ve ever experienced. The two of us experienced every part of first year together, and I felt like university just wasn’t the same without them. However, losing a friend isn’t always a bad thing. Sometimes your friends change for the better, and you naturally grow apart over time. Sometimes your friends change for the worse, and you choose to distance yourself from their negativity, or sometimes your friends weren’t ever really your friends at all, and you realize there’s only so long you can accept the negative way they treat you. On the bright side, losing my best friend forced me out of my comfort zone. I became closer with old friends who had always been there for me. I met amazing new people who gladly filled the place of those who left me behind. And, most importantly, I learned the importance of only surrounding myself with people who make me feel supported, welcomed, and loved.

5. How to make the most of every situation

By far, the most important thing I learned in my second year at the University of Guelph was how to make the most out of every situation. As much as I wanted to break down and give up every time I faced a problem, I learned to treat every obstacle as a lesson. I was forced to learn time management skills, and I realized I shouldn’t settle for a part-time job that stresses me out more than school. I learned that there’s no such thing as an easy way out when it comes to education, and I should focus on what I take away from my classes instead of looking for the quickest way to pass the course. I learned that you can’t be best friends with everyone – and sometimes that’s a good thing. My second year at the University of Guelph was a total mess, but I wouldn’t change a single thing.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!