This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As the Christmas season comes around once again, so too does the time of the year to get cozy and sit by the fireplace with a cup of hot chocolate, while watching shows and movies to get you feeling festive. This is essential viewing for the holiday season.  

‘Christmas with the Kranks’ 

This movie has lots of laughs and lots of heart. If you’re looking for something to remind you of the spirit of Christmas and what the holiday season is about, this is a wonderful choice.  

‘National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation’ 

Christmas isn’t always candy canes and gingerbread houses; sometimes a squirrel jumps out of your Christmas tree. This movie is about the chaos that can ensue over the Christmas break. If you’re looking for some laughter, ‘National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation’ guarantees that you’ll find it.  

‘Dash and Lily’ 

A bingeable series about the quest for love, among two people whose feelings about the holidays couldn’t be more different. 

‘The Holiday’ 

A story about two women swapping homes and living overseas for Christmas. This movie shows the ability that a new location has to offer a new perspective on life. 

‘Love the Coopers’ 

‘Love the Coopers’ is a story all about the unplanned, hectic events that take place over the Christmas season, and how although stressful, they often bring families closer together.  

‘Let it Snow’ 

‘Let it Snow’ follows a group of high school seniors on Christmas Eve, as each of them embark on their own mission to fill a void in their personal lives. 

‘While You Were Sleeping’ 

‘While You Were Sleeping’ is a heartwarming movie about a hopeless romantic who finds herself having to keep a secret during the holidays. This is a movie about kindness, love, and the reality that life doesn’t always turn out the way you had planned; sometimes it’s even better. 

‘The Office’ – Christmas Party 

This episode is just a classic episode to get you in the Christmas mood. If you haven’t watched it, you really should; you won’t regret it.  

‘New Girl’ – Christmas Eve Eve 

Friends, family, and Darlene Love; this episode of ‘New Girl’ has all of the ingredients for an amazing Christmas episode. 

‘Ted Lasso’ – Carol of the Bells 

Not only is this episode of ‘Ted Lasso’ a wonderful Christmas episode, it’s also just a wonderful episode of television in general. It’s full of heart, love, and fun; the perfect thing to watch during the holidays.  

Well, there you have it; some shows and movies to put you in the holiday spirit and give you your necessary dose of Christmas cheer. So, sit back, enjoy, and have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.  

Sarah is studying at the University of Guelph majoring in English, with a minor in Media & Cinema Studies. She enjoys photography, music, writing, tv & film, and is an avid fan of music created decades before she was.