Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Tennis Shoes And Water Bottle
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

Embracing My New Routine in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Life looks very different these days. We are all making new routines, working online, socializing virtually with our friends and family, and making way more baked goods than we need to. It has been over a month since we have started social distancing and staying in our homes to keep safe. As time passes, we are all slowly getting used to our new lives and new routines. While things are stressful and maybe even uncomfortable, I am starting to embrace my new reality and daily routines. Instead of focusing on what I cannot control and feeling upset and overwhelmed, I have decided to channel all my energy into the things I can control and the people I love.

At first, everything was very hard. Suddenly my world, like everyone else’s, was turned upside down. I was laid off from my job and left feeling anxious and worried about how I was going to pay the bills. My classes were abruptly put online with no chance to say goodbye to fellow classmates or to finish course material with the professors in class. I felt worry for my vulnerable loved ones, and empathy for my parents who were feeling uncertain about their own work. Processing all the quickly changing developments left me concerned and upset.

Now I am used to my new routines and daily activities. I moved back home for the summer and I am social distancing with my family here. What I have learned in these unprecedented times is that I have to focus on what I can control. I love the quality time I am spending with my family, the newfound free time to binge my favourite movies, and the opportunity to take time for myself. I enjoy connecting with loved ones online. I am lucky to have a place to call home where I feel safe and I am surrounded by the people I love. This unique moment has definitely made me realize we can’t take anything for granted because our lives can change in a heartbeat. I am so thankful for all of the essential workers that are risking their lives every day just to help us.

Here are some new things that I have incorporated into my routine:

1. Home workouts. Although we can no longer go to the gym, I now love working out at home. My university does daily virtual workouts on Instagram, which I like to do and which keep me connected with my Guelph community. All this helps me feel fresh and motivated to tackle other parts of my day.

2. Walks. Every day my mom and I put our running shoes on and go for a walk. It is a nice way to spend time together and get some fresh air.

3. Baking. Recently I have been testing out my skills in the kitchen by baking things I normally would not have time to make. Today I made banana bread that turned out to be delicious! Baking makes me feel happy and gives me a little task for the day.

4. Connections. Everyday I try to Facetime or call a friend. It is nice to be able to see their faces and find out how they are doing. I feel almost more connected with my friends and family because now we have time to talk to each other every day.

5. Reading and writing. This is something that I would actually like to get better at doing. When I am in school, it is hard to take time to read and write for myself so I definitely want to do this more often! I am finally getting the chance to finish reading Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay, a book that is amazing. Although life is very different now, I try to make the most of it and think positively. This is not going to last forever, and things will get better. Soon we will be able to reunite in person with our friends and family, go to our favourite restaurants and stores, drink coffee on the patio and swim at the beach, but for now, embrace your new life. Take time for yourself and do everything you can to fill your days with joy and excitement.

Emily Gibson

Guelph '21

Emily is The University of Guelph's Chapter Marketing and Publicity Director! She is a fourth-year English major who loves spending her time watching movies, writing, and discovering new places. One day she wants to visit Greece to fulfill her Mamma Mia dreams.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!