Broccoli-Cheddar Soup Recipe You Must Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Hi ladies! I am back today to share with you an incredible soup I had the pleasure of co-making, and that is the mock Panera-Bread Broccoli-Cheddar Soup! If you are looking for an easy, flavorful and comforting soup to enjoy on a cold winter day, this is the soup for you! I recommend eating this soup in the same way that I did, which was in a sourdough bread bowl. Simply purchase a circular loaf of bread and use an x-acto knife to carve out the middle of the loaf to create a bowl! Here is the link to the site I got the recipe from in case you want to try more tasty meals!

Ingredients:

• 6 tablespoon butter (unsalted)
  • 1 onion (diced)
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups heavy cream or half-and-half
  • 2 cups vegetable broth
  • 3 cups fresh broccoli (chopped into bite-size pieces)
  • 1 1/2 cups carrots (julienned)
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

Instructions:

1. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a medium skillet over medium heat.

2. Once butter has melted, add diced onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until translucent. Stir a few times. Once done, remove skillet from heat and set aside.

3. Place a medium pot over medium heat.

4. Once the pot is warm, add 4 tablespoons of butter and melt. Once melted, add the flour and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly with a whisk. While whisking, add broth. Stir to combine.

5. Add the heavy cream, stir to combine and simmer for about 10 minutes.

6. Add the broccoli, carrots and the cooked onion. Add nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

7. Once done, you can leave the soup chunky or blend about 1/2 of the soup by adding it to a blender or using an immersion blender. After blending the soup, stir it back in for a smoother soup.

8. Return to low heat and add the cheddar cheese.

9. Serve warm with extra cheddar cheese.

10. Enjoy! 

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!