3 Slow-Cooker Soups to Keep your Body Comforted as the Weather Gets Colder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As fall approaches, the body starts to crave heartier foods that give us comfort. This craving is intensified, as school picks up and gets more stressful. But as the assignments, midterms and quizzes start flooding in, often it becomes harder to find time to cook and consume healthy and hearty foods. This is where slow cooker soups save the day!

Though a slow cooker seems like yet another kitchen appliance to buy for your university house, it isn’t a purchase you will regret. A small slow cooker goes for about $30.00, and will last you years, and have your taste buds thanking you. Your tummy will be extra happy enjoying these fall soup ideas, that if cooked for multiple servings, will be feeding you for several meals! That means less time cooking and worrying about your next meal, and more time to attend to your studies!

1. Creamy Butternut Squash and Red Pepper Soup

Red peppers and butternut squash are a combination guaranteed to bring comfort. Check out this recipe from “Mina’s Journey,” to get your body in tune with the coming autumn weather!

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 4-6 hours

Servings: Up to 12 cups

Details at:

http://www.minasjourney.net/recipe/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-red-pepper-soup/

2. Tomato Basil Soup

Of course, no talk of fall soups is complete without including a classic tomato soup, that can be beautifully paired with a grilled cheese sandwich. Though you will have to make that grilled cheese later, this easy recipe is one you can walk away from for four hours. Imagine cutting up some tomatoes, and coming back post-studying to a meal like Momma used to make! Thank you “Delish Knowledge”!

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 4 hours

Servings: 4 servings

Details at:

https://www.delishknowledge.com/slow-cooker-vegan-tomato-soup/

Pro Tip: Grilled Cheese Croutons

If you want to take your tomato soup and grilled cheese experience to the next level, consider making some grilled cheese croutons to float in your soup. This step is done closer to the end of making the tomato soup of course, but it is sure to give you a gourmet experience at a university student price!

All you need- cheese of your choice, bread of your choice, and some butter!

The steps: Just fry up a grilled cheese, cut into small squares, float on your soup, and enjoy!

Not sure how to make a grilled cheese? Visit: 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/23891/grilled-cheese-sandwich/

3. Thai Chicken Soup

If you were looking for a more interesting and spicy fall soup option, look no further! The only thing to be wary of is this recipe’s use of peanut butter, though of course this ingredient can always be substituted or left out. Regardless, this recipe from “Show Me the Yummy” is sure to keep you feeling as warm and relaxed as any other fall soup recipe!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 3 hours

Servings: Up to 11 cups

Details at:

https://showmetheyummy.com/slow-cooker-thai-chicken-soup-recipe/

I am a fifth year student in the Honours BA Psychology program, minoring in Political Science at the University of Guelph. Over my first four years as a student I have learned that nothing helps relieve stress like a creative outlet, especially if you are an overly creative person in the social sciences. Growing up in an artistic household, I learned love, happiness, and any other emotion or experience could be expressed productively through various mediums. I learned to draw, paint, dance competitively, take pictures, and, most relevant to this situation, write, all thanks to my super creative mother. As a result, HerCampus is an amazing outlet for my creative side while I bear the pressure of meeting graduate school requirements. I can't wait to see what my final undergrad year with HerCampus has in store!
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!