This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

You have decided to embark on a new adventure but have no idea where to go. Before you end up traveling somewhere you regret, I am going to urge you to study abroad in Madrid, Spain. This enchanted and beautiful European city is full of rich Spanish culture, art, history, fashion and awe-mazing people. Spain will challenge your mind, broaden your horizons and give you epiphany after epiphany. Here are a few reasons why you should consider studying abroad in Madrid, Spain!

Inexpensive Shopping Galore-Calle De La Princesa

Calle De La Princesa is a street in Madrid that is literally dedicated to making a woman feel like the princess she is. You can’t help but shop until you drop because this street was made just for you.  Clothing stores everywhere you turn, shoe stores with two stories built in order to hold all of the shoes it contains. Whether you are fashion forward, have your own personal style, or like the plain jane look, you will find what you are looking for in one of the stores located on La Princesa street.

Rebajas-Sales!

If this enchanted princess strip isn’t enough to convince you, think about your favorite store with a 70% off sale on everything! Now, imagine your favorite store having this sale for months at a time. In Madrid, there are periods when every retail store has massive sales that could make a girl faint with excitement, or cry tears of joy. Their sales last for at least two months, and there are no taxes in Madrid! Need I say more?

Sangria- The Signature Spanish Drink

Sangria is a special Spanish beverage consisting of red wine, fruit, sugar and brandy. If you are of age, be prepared for this refreshing drink to take over and have you filled with bliss and the giggles. One minute you will be enjoying the taste of Sangria, the next minute you will be a victim of the Spanish charm, feeling lighter and looser all while understanding why Sangria is Spain’s signature drink. This drink is served at every Spanish restaurant, and is often given to you for free because the Spanish believe that wine helps the digestive system.

Performers Everywhere!

No need to put in headphones while on the metro because I can guarantee there will be people playing the Spanish guitar, singing beautiful melodies and even performing plays! Don’t have enough money to go see a show? Go to a place known as Gran Via, and you will see street dancers entertaining the people of Spain, and inviting you to be a part of it all for free!

Epic Night Scene

Have you ever partied in a club with seven stories? Madrid is a city that never sleeps. Do not plan to go out until 1 am because that is when the Spaniards start their partying, and be prepared to party until 5am when the clubs close. One word of advice, dress up because the Spanish are very fashion forward and step out in their best gear.

Fall in Love in Madrid

The Spanish men are beautiful and charming to say the least. They are very sophisticated, sensitive and smart men. They dress well and smell even better. Spaniards love foreigners and are not afraid to make it known. Their Spanish charm will hypnotize you and their accent will leave you breathless. Do not look for the romance, it will find you when you least expect it. Madrid is also home to the main college campuses in Spain, so expect to see Spanish college men everywhere!

The View

Madrid is a city of vibrant colors and ancient architecture.  In the heart of the city is the royal palace, or Palacio Real De Madrid, which is open to the public and a must see while in Spain. The architecture is enchanting and beautiful. There are huge statues everywhere in Madrid. The aesthetics of the city is mind-blowing, and is a symbol to the pride that the Spaniards have for their country. Get ready to see green, blues and beautiful hues.

Siesta: Break Time

The Spaniards believe everyone should have a time of day to relax. The word siesta means nap. After a long day of classes, take a three to four hour break doing whatever you want. Every day from about 2 pm until 5 pm, everyone relaxes, eats lunch and spends time with their family. You are expected to do absolutely nothing. You are allowed to be lazy. It doesn’t get better than this. Stores close, classes come to a halt and you are free to just be.

There is no place on earth like Madrid, Spain, and taking a study abroad trip will be one of the best experiences you will have in college.

Trianna Anderson is a current senior and journalism major/English minor at Georgia State University. She previously worked as a News Reporter for Georgia State's student run newspaper, The Signal,and is currently working on an advice blog, which is called Whattrisays.com. Her free time is spent daydreaming about her future, going to poetry slams and practicing guitar. Her dream careers include travel journalism, singing and writing novels. 
The GSU chapter of Her Campus