This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

YIKES. Here we are in November, the semester is almost over and many of us are trying to be excited to finally exhale and look forward to the holidays all while trying to keep our head on our shoulders with these finals and final assignments. Many of us work, commute, we’re involved in orgs, and let’s be honest, it can get quite overwhelming. Scratch that, VERY overwhelming.

Source

Exercising, eating healthy, venting to friends… all of these things are very helpful for our mental health. It is important however, that we don’t overlook the power and benefits of therapy! There are too many of us who hold back from seeking therapy because we see it as the destruction to the image of “having it all together”.There is a great deal of strength that comes along with acknowledging that you are a human being with the understanding that it is IMPOSSIBLE to ALWAYS have it together. Take off the mask.

Source

We should strive to be our whole selves in all it’s complexity. When you witness others at their peak, understand that there is a story behind what you see. As a collective, it is important that we understand that we do more harm than good to constantly try to appear as perfect and lead people to strive to be so. We should all lead and inspire one another to be our greatest selves. There is a process in doing this.  

source

This is where therapy comes in. There are emotions we try to shy away from because we put them in the category of weakness. Every emotion has value: anger, sadness, happiness, jealousy, envy. Each emotion that you can think of has a lesson that you can get from it if you find a healthy way to approach it. Therapy is a good way to set aside time that is dedicated to organizing your head space. We are all unique individuals and therefore, what’s a healthy way to handle things for one, may not be how someone else needs to handle it. Your friends and family can only tell you the best way that they know how from their experience, but a therapist can help you to find your own unique way to dissect your thoughts and approach some of the situations you encounter on a daily basis that trigger some of the emotions we aren’t too fond of.

So.. exercise, eat healthy, go out with your friends and make unforgettable nights but PLEASE, oh please, with a cherry on top…  get some therapy in yo life! ;)

See what I did there?  

The GSU chapter of Her Campus